Episode 14B: Snow Cult Scuffle

(Start on DLC Island. CUPHEAD, MUGMAN, CHALICE, and CHINA are by the sea. CUPHEAD is holding the relic.)

Cuphead-I noticed something really strange before the timeline split. This relic started glowing.

Mugman-I told you this thing was bad news.

Cuphead-Well, what am I supposed to do with it now?

Chalice-Cast it into the sea! Destroy it!

Cuphead-I guess it's not doing me any favors.

(He throws the relic into the sea.)

Cuphead-Good riddance!

Chalice-But where do we go from here?

Mugman-Let's look at the recipe and see where we have left to go.

(He takes out the recipe, and all of them look over it.)

Mugman-It looks like the next ingredient to get is the Icy Sugar Cubes from Mortimer Freeze.

(CHALICE freezes [pun totally intended].)

Cuphead-What's wrong, Alice?

Chalice-You know in the saloon when Esther was talking about how I fought against an ice wizard?

Cuphead-Yeah.

Chalice-That's him.

(Flashback to 15 years earlier. CHALICE enters an icy coliseum with spectators made of snow. MORTIMER FREEZE sits at a throne in the back.)

Chalice-(narrating) The Calix Animi sent me to investigate an ice wizard who had formed a snow cult out of the reanimated bodies of those who had entered his turf. At that point, I was a strong fighter, but I was too scared to hurt anyone.

(The young CHALICE talks very animatedly to MORTIMER.)

Chalice-(narrating) I pled with him to stop his evil activities at once without any fighting...

(MORTIMER shakes his head.)

Chalice-(narrating) But he refused to listen to me.

(CHALICE draws her spear.)

Chalice-(narrating) Left with no other choice, I summoned my spear. It only took a few seconds for him to overpower me.

(MORTIMER raises his arms, sending a wall of snow towards CHALICE, covering the screen in white. Fade to the present.)

Chalice-He froze my body and added it to his numbers, leaving behind a soul that can pass into the mortal plane but can never truly escape the astral plane.

Cuphead-So that's how you became a ghost.

Chalice-Mugman, do you mind eating another astral cookie for me? If anyone's gonna face him, it has to be me.

China-I'm sorry. A what?

(MUGMAN takes out the box of astral cookies.)