Episode 1A: Don't Deal With the Devil

(Start in front of ELDER KETTLE's house. CUPHEAD narrates in the background.)

Cuphead-(voice-only) Once, in a magical place called the Inkwell Isles, there lived two brothers named Cuphead and Mugman. They lived without a care under the watchful eye of the wise Elder Kettle.

(ELDER KETTLE is actually asleep in a rocking chair right now. Zoom in on CUPHEAD, who is climbing a tree.)

Cuphead-(voice-only) That's me, Cuphead. You can guess where my name comes from. Elder Kettle always says I'm the energetic one, always bouncing off the walls and making decisions on impulse.

(MUGMAN walks out of the front door.)

Cuphead-(voice-only) That's my brother, Mugman. You can guess where his name comes from, too. He's kind of a stickler, but he's the sweetest guy I know. He's my sidekick.

Mugman-Hey, Cuphead, you wanna play some dice?

Cuphead-Dice? But Mugs, you win every time!

Mugman-It's not that hard. All you have to do is look at the dice as you're rolling them and let them drop when the sixes are on top.

Cuphead-Isn't that cheating?

Mugman-No, it's not. It's strategy.

(CUPHEAD sits on a branch.)

Cuphead-Whatever. It's a beautiful day. You should be playing outside.

Mugman-Cuphead, you know me. I'm not an outside guy.

Cuphead-I know! Let's go exploring!

Mugman-Is there anywhere we haven't "explored"?

(CUPHEAD drops down from the branch.)

Cuphead-That's a great question!

(He grabs MUGMAN by the hand and runs across the Inkwell Isles, practically dragging MUGMAN behind him.)

Mugman-Where are we going?!

Cuphead-I don't know. That's the fun of it!

(They stop in front of a large, magnificent building inside a cave [which will be referred to as Inkwell Hell] with a sign that says "Devil's Casino".)

Cuphead-Jackpot. This is terrible real estate, but it's pretty well-kept.

Mugman-I don't think we should go in here.

Cuphead-Well, why not?

Mugman-Didn't Elder Kettle warn against playing on the wrong side of the tracks?

Cuphead-Maybe he was talking about some other tracks probably hidden in some woods. Stop worrying so much, Mugs! It will be fine.

(He grabs MUGMAN and leads him up the steps to the casino.)

Mugman-You say that now.

(They reach the door, where KING DICE is waiting for them.)

King Dice-Welcome to the Devil's Casino! I'm King Dice, manager of this fine establishment. Lemme give you some chips.

(He pulls out ten red poker chips and ten blue chips from behind his back. CUPHEAD and MUGMAN take the chips and enter the Casino. As they look around, a cup waitress approaches them from behind and hands them each a juice box.)

Waitress-Your juice boxes, boys.

(She pats MUGMAN on the shoulder and walks off. MUGMAN takes a sip from his juice box.)

Mugman-You gotta admit, this place has everything.

Cuphead-Hey! Why don't I get shoulder pats?

(He begins following the waitress. As he does, he passes the craps table.)