five! - the awkward drive back

|||||

"Eden? Are you sure your okay" Sapnap asked the girl who was sat in the back seat of Karl's car. The girl kept spacing out and Sapnap had asked her this question for what must have been at least five times and each time her answer was relatively the same.

"For the very last time Sap, I am fine" Eden sighed, resting her head against the car window glumly.

The two men in the front seats only shared a concerned glance in the others direction before Karl decided it would be best if he changed the subject.

"So what are you both spending the money you won on?" Karl asked with genuine curiosity laced in his voice while he concentrated on getting them all back to his house after the long day of filming. They knew Eden felt bad for what had happened but she couldn't have helped it.

"I'm putting mine towards a new car. Mine keeps fucking breaking and it's getting more expensive to fix" Sapnap complained with a deep sigh before turning to look at Eden, awaiting her answer in anticipation.

"Well.. I'm going to put most of it into my savings account then I'm going to donate some to charity and erm, well I was going to send some to my parents" she told them nervously, not daring to look in Karl's direction.

"Aww Eden that's so sweet of you, your parents are really lucky to have you" Sapnap told her cluelessly, not knowing about the situation with her parents. Not many people knew about it and she'd like to keep it that way.

"Yeah that's really kind of you Eden" Karl grumbled under his breath. Sapnap had never seen him look so irritated or upset. He could cut the tension with a knife, he felt quite awkward sitting in the car with them.

"What are you implying Karl" Eden asked him accusationally, for Eden this was a touchy subject. She had been kicked out at the age of sixteen, anyone would be a bit upset. She still sent her parents some of the profits she would make from her streams and parts of whatever she made from being on Jimmy's channel. Her friends didn't like this but there wasn't much they could do, it was her life.

"Did i– did I miss something?" Sapnap asked, he was confused, he could see the worry or concern on Karl's face while Eden looked a mix between irritated and upset.

"No you didn't Sapnap, it's fine," Eden said to him, sending him one of her iconic charming smiles. Sapnap couldn't help but smile bashfully, his face now coloured a soft pink as he turned to face the front.

"We're here" Karl said to them both after a while of awkward driving.

"I'm gonna take my bags inside" Sapnap told them both, grabbing his suitcase and duffel bag, dragging them into the house giving Karl the opportunity to speak with Eden.

"Why?" Karl asked her, worry laced in his voice with a mix of disbelief.

"I miss them, okay? I just want to make sure they're okay" she said defensively. Eden could tell Karl was annoyed or maybe worried, she wasn't sure which.

"Eden, that's your money, you earned it! Not them! They kicked you out Eden, they didn't want anything to do with you, why can't you understand that, you need to forget about them and focus on yourself for once" he said, a bit louder than he had realised, immediately regretting everything he had said.

"You think it's that fucking easy don‘t you? My only family left wants nothing to do with me? Do you know what it feels like to have nobody Karl, because I do! They kicked me out because they didn't fucking want me anymore! You don’t know what that feels like" Eden shouted at him, tears streamed down her face. Karl had a look of shock and realisation as he listened to Eden's words. He had never heard Eden shout in anger or emotion and he felt terrible for it. If he had just kept his mouth shut.

"No, wait Eden I'm–" Karl started but was quickly interrupted by Eden speaking again.

"Save it, I'm going home, don't follow me. Tell Sap I'm sorry I had to leave. I mean it Karl, don't try following me, I'm not in the mood to talk,'' Eden said sternly wiping a few stray tears in an attempt to try and seem unbothered by it all.

But as he saw her walking away he saw her shoulders shaking as she wept. He didn't try to stop her, he knew it would only make things worse than it was already.

Karl and Eden had never had a fight like this. Usually they would make up after a few hours a day at most, but this felt different. This argument felt real. It wasn't as simple as their past fall outs, he didn't think this one was fixable after a few days.

"Hey Karl? Where's Eden going, I thought we were all hanging out" Sapnap asked as he stepped back outside clueless to their argument.

"She said she didn't feel well" Karl told him bluntly, as Sapnap walked back inside the house.

"Oh, that's a shame, I hope she feels better soon," he said to the boy behind him.

"Me too..." Karl mumbled glumly as he turned to walk away, no longer seeing Eden.

A/n: BoredZoe <333