nineteen!- i'll be there for you.

"well?" dream asked her expectantly, eden had been silent for a while after his question, and all she had said was well before going completely silent again, dream was always patient with eden, but sometimes she just needs a push, he knew she found it hard to speak about her problems.

"i have cancer" she responded after a while, she didn't even try to sugarcoat it, she didn't even think there's a possible ways to sugarcoat having cancer, if somebody knew a way she would love for them to tell her.

"w-what? eden you can't joke about that sort of stuff" deep down dream knew that she wasn't joking, that she was being completely serious, but he was in denial, he didn't want to admit the truth in her words, it was hard to believe, he didn't want to believe it. he was hoping that any second now she would start laughing and tell him she was kidding, but deep down, in the pit of his stomach he knew that it was highly unlikely that would ever actually happen. as some would say, pigs would fly before that would ever happen.

"dream... im not joking" eden said solemnly, she wasn't actually sure why she had told dream the truth, surely the first person she should've told should've been karl, after all out of all of her friends, she was closest to karl, they were practically siblings.

so why was she telling dream this, why was she b eing so honest with him, especially after how horrible he had been after mcc.

"i know" he mumbled, "what cancer is it" dream knew that almost all cancer was bad, but he was hoping that maybe it could be a, not-so-bad one, maybe after abit of chemo it would go away, he had hope, something that eden had lost the day she was diagnosed.

"i have a brain tumor clay" she spoke earnestly, and when she used his real name he knew she was being serious, eden just wanted this conversation to be over already but she couldn't go back now. "yeah but they can remove those right, you can get surgery" he pointed out, at this point he had tears in his eyes, all of the questions eden had been asking herself about why it had to be her were running through his head.

"there isn't a cure, the doctors can just work on shrinking it" she told him.

"is that why you couldn't focus in mcc?" he asked her, he felt so much worse than he did before for getting irritated with her, and he had felt horrible before.  "mhm" was all she responded with, eden did feel bad for him, being told that one of your closest friends has cancer cant be a good thing to hear. he can't be enjoying this anymore than she is.

"so is that why karl has been lecturing me so much?" dream asked her, he obviously thought that she had told other people first, like Karl and her friends in north carolina.

"he doesn't know and you cant tell him either, he thinks i'm going to Mississippi right now" she said sternly shocking dream. "wait- i have two questions, he doesn't know?! he's your best friend? and two. where are you going if your not going to Mississippi?" 

"your the first person i've told" eden said sheepishly, "what! why?" dream asked her, interrupting her before she could answer his second question, "i don't know.. i just haven't had the chance to tell anyone yet" she told him and he had to have some sympathy, its gotta be hard telling someone you've got cancer, maybe its easier over the phone so she doesn't have to watch the shocked look on their faces and she didn't have to sit through their pitiful stares.

"where are you going"  he asked, changing the subject, "i'm going to the hospital, i have a surgery in a few days" eden said, wishing she had the music to block her from everything, clay didn't know how she could say that so simply, like it wasn't a big thing, but it was only then that he realised that if he was the first person she had told then who was going to be there for her, he knew now that she had been telling people she would be in Mississippi.

"your going alone?" he asked her, after hearing her explain what surgery she would be getting, it sounded long and painful, surely she should have someone there with her.

"yeah, i'm kinda nervous though" 

"what if i flew in, i'm the only person that knows and i want someone to be there for you, i can tell nick that i'm visiting my uncle in georgia for a abit and i can come see you, nobody has to know eden but i am not going to let you do this alone" he told her, and of course eden didn't want to be alone but she really didn't want dream to go to all that trouble to get to north carolina because of her.

she knew how stubborn dream could be and honestly she wasn't arguing, she had been reluctant to admit it, but she was scared, terrified even, there's so many possible complications that could happen. so many things that could go wrong, and she would be doing it all alone, when she goes in for surgery, her nerves at an all time high, there would be nobody to tell her that it would all be okay, nobody to greet her after surgery when she wakes up.

just the thought of all of that made eden rethink arguing with him.

"before you say no, which hospital will you be at" he asked her, and she knew for definite that she didn't have any options even if she didn't want him to come, and so she told him, and it had been decided, dream would drive up to north carolina, it would take hima while so he'd be getting there the night before eden would be going to the hospital to prepare for surgery.

after solidifying their plans eden answered all of dreams questions about her cancer, by the end of it they were both crying, but eden didn't mind, she felt so much relief, she felt as if a small bit of the weight had been lifted from her chest after telling dream and she felt less nervous for her surgery knowing that somebody would be there for her afterwards.

eden was glad to have friends like dream, so considerate and kind, he had dropped everything just to be with her before a surgery.

eden was glad that during her short life she would be surrounded by people like dream and karl, and everybody else, because those were her people.