013. Good Riddance

Part Two / Chapter Thirteen

Yurina's mom was the most selfish, stuck up bitch she knew (and Yurina had to endure high school with cheerleaders).

There was literally no denying it. But growing up, she wasn't always so strict. The early memories of the lives of Michiko and Yurina Sasaki were actually quite pleasant. The mother and daughter duo were two peas in a pod. They'd go get mani-pedis (sometimes even get matching colors), grab some food from their favorite Italian spot Antonio's, they would gossip about the people in town. Yurina actually liked having good memories of her mom, before life had begun to sour her. Reminiscing on older times filled a hole in her heart where her mother's love for her began to dwindle.

Michiko was what you can call a rambunctious woman. It was clear who wore the pants in the marriage. She was the dictator of the Sasaki Household and the father and daughter just accepted it as it was. No questions asked. Yurina still wondered why her father allowed it all to
happen, a part of her hated him for it, but another part of her admired him for breaking out of the fence.

"You think you can raise this girl?" Michiko Sasaki lectured, giving an airy laugh as she let her fiery eyes fall on her daughter, who was scratched, scraped and bruised from the disastrous fire in Starcourt Mall that night. "Disobedient, Idiotic girl who nearly got herself killed tonight?"

"That girl is your daughter, Michiko. Do—do you even hear yourself right now?" Kenji Sasaki pleaded, stepping in front of Yurina to protect her from her mother's glare.

"You're protecting her now? When you've just sat back and acted like a coward all of these years. . ." Her middle finger and thumb pressed against the sides of her temples, like the argument had been giving her a migraine. Yurina could understand, she'd been on the receiving end for years, ". . . I cant forget what she's done. She may have repented but the damage is done. Kenji, the camp look at the progress she's made. That's all from tough love, the tough love I give her."

Michiko held her husbands arms, eyes now pleading for him to understand and to just take her side. Kenji softly took her hands off of him, taking a step back away from her. "I don't care. You know what I did care about driving to the mall, if my daughter was alive or not. Not if she was with a girl, kissing one or even dating one. I don't care, Michiko."

A stray tear made its escape from Yurina's eye smiling up at her father, who'd finally stood up to her mother.

"You don't give her rough love, Michiko. You gave her a tough life." Kenji sighed, stepping beside his daughter as they watched the other woman in their lives across from them. "I regret not ever saying anything. I was a coward, but you were just evil."