024 Just The Beginning

Part Two / Chapter Twenty-Four

It was so fucked up, looking up at him as if he were some sort of prophet, a god, a deity. The way his vines held him up and his arms were extended outwards, similar to the crucifix.

Except Yurina actually wanted to nail this prick to one. She smashed the aerosol can open on the corner of a fallen pillar and poured it all around him. She made sure to pour them out on every single vine she could find. Crack! Pour. Crack! Pour. Until she reached the last bottle and tossed it aside, stepping back in her place between Robin and Nancy.

Seeing him a mere five minutes ago made her skin itch, and then watching him perfectly still above them. Like a sick illusion, seeing him attempt to murder Max in real time. The worst thing for Yurina, was they wouldn't know if they'd won the battle. Max could be dead right now, and then what? Would it have all been for nothing? Between being waterboarded by Russian guards or possessed by some intergalactic demon, this was the worst Yurina had felt in a while.

"Do you think Max is okay?" She whispered so quietly Robin thought Yurina was speaking to herself.

"The plan is fool-proof. I'm sure she's okay. We got her out once and we're doing it again." Robin made an attempt at reassuring the girl, even if she wasn't 100% sure she believed the words spilling from her own lips. She handed Yurina one of the Molotov cocktails. "Ready to flambé this son of a bitch."

She felt a hungry growl settle at the nape of her throat. "More than ready." Before Steve or Robin could throw their Molotov cocktails, Yurina flung hers and watched as it exploded square on Vecna's chest.

Steve and Robin unloaded their supply throughout the room. The vines trembled and shook underneath the heat, almost as they were in pain themselves. She and Nancy pulled their guns forward, pressing their backs together. Their eyes resembled knives, and in this case, fired up. The cocking of their guns matched up in chorus.

It was music. The echo transforming into a chorus that danced through her ears. As she pressed the metal of the shotgun toward the bottom right side of her cheek, shutting one eye as she aimed directly at Vecna's chest, as he squirmed and writhed in pain. The fire, ablaze and alive with light, had already begun to make her sweat in her gear.

His expression shifted. Although his face and body were raging with fire, he stopped to stare straight at them. One after another, shot after shot, they continued. One in his shoulder, Yurina took the other shoulder. One in the leg, Nancy took out his other leg.

Yurina wasn't scared. For the first time, since she was thrown into this world of dimensions and monsters, she wasn't scared of any of them. Not even of the master himself as he let out a wall-rattling howl.

"For Chrissy," Yurina whispered to herself, pressing the shotgun against her skin one last time. "For Max."

Two bullets flew directly into Vecna's chest, the multipled force sending him flying out of the window of the Creel house. With fire catching around them, the room suddenly died down to a calm blue hue. Peace amongst the chaos, Yurina thought. They'd managed to kill him, or injure him to the point of death. She just wished him gone and dead. The young adults raced down the stairs and to the spot where Vecna was — gone?