022 The Calm Before The Storm

Part Two / Chapter Twenty-Two

Chaos had immediately erupted after Vecna had caught Nancy. Everyone was piled in Eddie's bedroom, turning it upside down looking for any source of music they could find to snap Nancy back into reality. Yurina went through every single dresser she could find, only coming across heavy metal bands. Not something Nancy would listen to.

"Steve says you need to hurry!" Erica had barged back into the room, giving the usual obvious statement as they all frantically continued to search.

"Tell him we're doing the same thing we've been doing for the past ten minutes!" Yurina shouted in frustration, tossing every trinket out of the drawers.

"Yeah, no shit!" Dustin yelled back, turning back to the desk he and Lucas were rummaging through.

"We're trying. We can't find anything." Max said.

"Seriously, what is all this shit?" Robin asked him, holding a handful of cassette tapes in her hands.

Eddie came back with more, bearing a perplexed look on his face. "What're you even looking for?"

"Madonna, Blondie, Bowie, Beatles? Music! We need music!"

He snatched the tape out of her hands. "This is music!"

Max had taken notice to Yurina. She'd stopped searching, and instead she was on her knees, looking down blankly at the dresser in front of her. "Yurina, what're you doing?"

"Nothing." She answered.

"Well stop doing that! We need to find something!" Dustin shouted at her.

"What if we don't?" She contemplated, standing up and facing the rest of the teens. "I didn't need music when Vecna got to me. Because he wanted me to see him kill Patrick. What if he's doing the same thing to Nancy?"

They all shared a perplexed glance. The Sasaki girl sighed impatiently. "Seriously? Look, she hasn't heard any clock noises, hasn't had any migraines or random nose bleeds like Max. She doesn't need music. We just need to wait."

"It— it makes sense." Robin came to her defense. "Vecna just wants to taunt some of us, make us see things, right? Yurina could be right. He's just using Nancy to relay some sick message."

Yurina smiled up at the girl before darting back into the living room, and staring up at Steve, who was holding a frozen Nancy. Her eyes were open, back to their usual blue.

"Holy shit, she was right." Dustin stated, all of them watching as Nancy hyperventilated in Steve's arms. Whatever Vecna had shown her, told her or done to her, took one hell of a toll because she didn't speak for the rest of the night. They all waited until morning to gather around in the living room of Max's trailer, sitting in a messy circle listening to Nancy's story.