023 The Final Countdown

Part Two / Chapter Twenty-Three

Everyone sat in peaceful unease as they made their way back into Hawkins to drop Max, Erica and Lucas off at their first destination: The Creel House.

It was angstful sitting there in the putrid silence and Yurina could nearly feel her own heartbeat skip terribly in her chest. To distract herself, she began rummaging through the drawers of the trailer, hoping that the couple had something useful to pass the time.

After searching through her fourth drawer, hidden behind crumpled up receipts and old ketchup packets was a Walkman. She noticed a few cassette tapes on a shelf and grabbed, well, all of them and placed them in a pile on their table.

Robin was sitting beside her as they made their way, watching Yurina through every step of her looking for something to do up until she set the cassettes on the table. Transferring from the west across from her, Yurina scooted right next to Robin looking though the cassette tapes in front of them. "Who's your favorite singer?" Looking up at the girl as she handed her over the cassette tapes.

"Uh, I enjoy Portugal and David Bowie. So, yeah, probably those two." She replied, seeing Yurina skip most of the cassette tapes in front of her. "Who are most of these people anyway?"

"Not fucking clue. I'll settle for Jackson Five, The Temptations, Lesley Gore. This is all hick shit." Yurina groaned, not beginning to toss each cassette tape until she arrived at one. "Hm."

Without disclosing to Robin what the song was, and inserted it into the Walkman, rewinding it and then playing it. Yurina turned to her with brazen eyes, lightly using a finger on her cheek to turn her head a bit and place the earbud in her ear.

♪ Everybody loves somebody sometime . . . Everybody falls in love somehow . . . ♪

Here she was, listening Dean Martin with Yurina Sasaki, heads touching and hands grazing each others whenever Steve hit a bump. The girl was still browsing through the cassette tapes, setting aside the ones she wanted to listen to. "My parents used to dance to this song. When they were in love. It's actually kind of sad listening to it now."

"Well in thirty years when I'm out of here living in New York, or wherever and hear this playing on someone's stereo or some hippie cafe. I'll be happy listening to it." Robin said.

Yurina cast a skeptical eye. "Why?"

"Because I was listening with you."

♪ Everybody loves somebody sometime . . . And although my dream was overdue . . . ♪

Now, staring had become their only form of communication. Robin, a bit scared and embarrassed, watched Yurina as she gazed up at her, flustered at what she'd just said. Her eyes that Yurina had once disregarded suddenly made her fall into her absolution. Robin watched her eyes rest, blinking periodically but slowed; the seemed of wasn't cold or scornful, but warm and inviting. Maybe it was her lips that give away her intention, not quite smiling but tilting as if they meant to.