012. Bruised & Bloodied

Part Two / Chapter Twelve

Yurina had been through a hell of a lot this past summer. Between ending up stuck in some weird Russian elevator, walking down some hallway for hours, going on a foot chase from those exact Russians and getting tortured by them.

Ending that night fighting some inter dimensional monster that took out the entire mall and practically burned it to the ground, leaving Hawkins more boring than it already was before Starcourt.

She didn't think she could go through anything more emotionally-crippling than that, until she had to become a cheer captain. Screaming at the top of her lungs trying her best to hype her cheerleaders up at the crack ass of dawn was a close second to Russian Summer Nights.

"Let's go, Tigers! Three, two, one!" Again, they'd gone over the routine one last time before students were able to enter the gymnasium. She gathered the cheerleaders near the foot of the bleachers as more and more kids piled into the gym waiting for the pep rally to begin. Then, she saw the band kids enter and a familiar face pop up behind a tuba.

"Robin!" She hopped up from the ground and made her way toward the girl, earning some funny looks from some cheerleaders and other 'popular' kids. They watched one of their own strike up a conversation with someone less of thirst status, it was weird, extremely weird to them but Yurina's focus was on the girl in the band uniform. "Ready for the performance of a lifetime?"

"Not really." She answered groggily.

Yurina grabbed her hands, jumping up and down to try and lift the girls spirits. "Come on! Put some pep in your step, it's the best way to start the morning."

"How did you get even more energetic after this summer?"

"It's a gift," She smiled, when the two girls realized they were still holding hands the urge to not let go took over until they realized how many people were surrounding them. Yurina let go and flip her hair back, hoping it was a good enough excuse to stop holding Robin's hands. "Like the haircut."

"Oh, thanks. I like your hair too, the blonde, it's different, really rad." She sputtered, cheeks burning red at how stupid she sounded right now.

But nonetheless, the girl in front of her smiled. "Thanks. I needed a change, a good change for once."

"Well, it looks really nice."

The Sasaki girl gave another smile that melted Robin's heart almost immediately.

After announcing the cheer squad to the center of the gymnasium, Yurina parted ways with the girl and toward the middle of the floor. Everything throughout the routine went out smoothly much to Yurina's content and she stood at the bottom of the pyramid holding up Jackie's foot.

Her eyes momentarily scanned through the crowd until she noticed Robin and another girl staring at each other. Not in a 'oh shit my mistake' kind of way, but in a way she looked at Robin. The 'I like you' kind of way. . . and Yurina felt her blood boil through her veins.