Eleven: Water Gate

I woke up, Eddie was still sound asleep, he must have gotten hot in the night. He had his shirt off, his hand laying over his chest, I decided not to wake him yet.

I quietly crawl out of the bed, get dressed and make my way to the house.

Dustin, Max and Steve were all there making breakfast. "Is there some for Eddie too?" I ask.

"Yeah, ah right here". Steve holds up a pancake on his spatula.

"So, if my theory is correct, Vecna is opening gates where his victims die. So that means.." Dustin explains

"That lovers lake, in theory has a gate". Max replies.

"Exactly".

"So why are we waiting around?" I ask.

"Well well, I smell pancakes!". Eddie is leant up against the wall.

"So, which one of you Henderson's is gonna tell Eddie the banished about this ..water gate." Eddie snatches a pancake from Steve spatula and takes a bite. Smiling at me.

"We're gonna wait until dark, Steve, robin , Nancy and i-"

"And me" Eddie adds.

"Right, are gonna go check it out. See if there's a gate where Patrick died. Dustin, max and Lucas, will be on watch on the shore".

"And what exactly do we do, once we're at this. Water Gate?". Eddie asks.

"Well we haven't figured that part out yet".

***********

"Ok you three stay here alright, raido in if you need anything or see anything." Steve says.

"Got it". Max replies.

Steve pushes the boat into the water and climbs in. Eddie and Steve start rowing. I watch as Nancy can't keep her eyes off Steve, it gives me a unsettling realization. Steve could have chosen me three years ago. But he didn't. And now, here's Eddie. Choosing me in the moment steve never did.

"Alright. About here is when Patrick, ah flew and snapped". Eddie says.

"Alright well one of us has to swim down okay, and since none of you were a summer lifeguard or on the swim team. That's me. No arguments". Steve takes his shoes off and then his shirt. I look at him for a breif second and look at Nancy. She was absolutely drooling.

Steve looks back at us. Eddie covered a flashlight in a plastic bag for Steve, Steve takes it and dives in leaving the boat rocking.

"How long has it been?" Nancy asks

I look at my watch. " Ah a little under a minute". My knees are bouncing with anxiety. I feel Eddie's hand squeeze my knee, I look at him and smile.

Robin and Nancy where talking about her and steve. It felt awkward, Eddie, just glared at them. Suddenly Steve brust out of the water.

"I found it". He looks down looks up confused.

"Something ju-". Steve gets pulled under.

"STEVE!" I yell standing up. I go to jump over board after him, Nancy pushes me to my butt rocking the boat. Robin follows.

Tears in my eyes Eddie props me up. "you okay?".

"Yeah.. let's go". I jump off the boat into the water. I can hear Eddie's hysterical screaming "shit" over and over. I swim towards the portal and pull myself through to see Steve pinned to the ground with bats around him. Eddie grabs a paddle and starts smacking them away.

"HOLY SHIT. STEVE". I grab onto one of the bats and start swinging it to the ground. Suddenly I get swept off my feet and dragged by my ankles away.

"EDDIE HELP ME!". I cry, I see Eddie run towards me. Steve is on his feet now stepping on his attacker and pulling.

Eddie runs to my rescue smacking the bat away, it comes back and Eddie grabs it ripping it's head off.

"Holy fucking shit." I cry Eddie looks down at me and takes off his denim vest, he kneels down and puts it over me buttoning it up.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing darling, your shirt is just ripped but I don't want you to be exposed or cold". He says sweetly. He kisses my forehead, I look past Eddie and see Steve, Robin and Nancy. Steve was bleeding bad. I pulled my ripped shirt from under Eddie's vest and threw it at Nancy.

"Use that." Eddie helps me stand my knees are scrapped and bloody. He slings my arm around his neck and picks me up.

"Okay so what's the plan."

"I've got guns at my house. We should go there". Nancy suggests.

The group agrees. Steve won't take his eyes off Eddie holding me. I've only ever seen that look on his face a few times before.

"Alright lead the way wheeler".