Ch 1

Unless the chapter has the name of a character in it, every chapter will be from Grian's perspective. 

As little as I remember how, my first thought when I wake up is cursing myself for hurting my wing so badly. And my arm and... 

Actually, a lot of things hurt. Maybe I crashed into a wall at some point. I can't remember when, it's probably the reason I feel so rubbish now, headache, in pain, and confused. 

I open my eyes.

And don't know where I am.

As much as it hurts to do so, I have to sit up and see where I am. My body explode with pain, I somehow stifle a scream, and try to remember where I am. A sense of familiarity fills me, but I don't know where I remember it from. Something happened.

Something very bad.

Broken blocks and dust surrounds me. Ash covers the ground and chokes the skies, a world of grey and brown, all except the makeshift bed I lie on. A shadowed figure in the distance. I can't see details, just some vague outline of someone looking for something.

They turn towards me. Walk towards me. My mind scrambles for names until one fits.

Scar?

'S...Scar? What happened?' I manage to speak. There's a shocked little scream, before he starts running.

'No... Grian, you need to lie down. You're really badly hurt.' 

He's got no top on. No anything on except torn trousers. It's the first time I've properly realized how much is name suits him, scars crossing his chest and face. A scrap of material covers one of his arms, stained with blood. Whatever happened to this place, he's been affected too.

'What happened? Scar? Where are we? Who did this?' Questions burst out of me. Scar doesn't answer any of them, pulling a whole reel of fabric like the stuff on his arm from his pocket, unravelling it and replacing the stuff I hadn't even realized was on my own arm. And as gory as I know it's going to be, I have to see the cut beneath... and frown. Didn't I normally have a communicator there? And why's it such a clean cut? And why does it match where Scar's also got a bandage? My first though is remembering Double Life, but then a more likely thing comes to mind.

'Scar? Why did you remove our communicators?'

'I didn't want them to track us.' 

'Who?' I try to stand up, but Scar stops me. 'Who's done this? Scar, why can't you tell me anything?!' 

I didn't mean to shout. Scar returns to silence, finishing up on my arm and moving to my wings, with only a 'this might hurt' before he tries to set one of them. I'm in enough pain already that I barely notice, nor the mumbled spell he whispers. 

'ᓭᔑリᔑ ᓵ𝙹∷リ⚍ ̇/ᒷꖎᑑ⚍ᔑ. ᓭᔑリᔑ ᓵ𝙹∷リ⚍ ̇/ᒷꖎᑑ⚍ᔑ. ᓭᔑリᔑ ᓵ𝙹∷リ⚍ ̇/ᒷꖎᑑ⚍ᔑ.' 

'What?' I don't recognise the language. It sounds like galactic, but the only word I recognise is the name They always called me.

'Wizard magic. Basic healing spell.' Scar explains briefly. 'It's galactic.'

'I know galactic... that isn't?'

'Different language translated into Galactic. It's complicated, and the quickest way to heal.' 

'Who did this?' I ask again as he finishes. No reply instantly as Scar focusses on returning his healing stuff to his pockets. Then...

'He said it was the Watchers.' 

A name comes to mind. Some explanation to where we are... They always said they'd destroyed it, but I'd never believed them. Not after... after...

'Grian, are you alright?' 

I shake my head. I feel like I might vomit, a faintness overcoming me, vision spotting as I try not to think about Them. 

'Grian. Calm down. Focus on breathing. In, and hold, and out.' I try to obey, taking slow breaths as tears blur my vision. 

'We're in Evo.' I mumble. Scar doesn't hear, or understand what I said, trying to make me relax. I don't want to relax. I want to scream. Find whoever trapped me and Scar here. Find the watchers, and kill every single one of their immortal demonic f***ing eyeball-obsessed... 

'Grian?' 

I snap back to reality, slipping to a sitting up position on the edge of the bed. For once, Scar doesn't chastise me for it, joining me and putting an arm around my shoulder.

'It'll be ok.'

'It won't. You've destroyed the only way for us to get out of this place. We're stuck in a world with Watchers that holds way too much emotional significance and somehow we're hurt, and alone... and I just want to go back to Hermitcraft.' 

Scar doesn't reply, as much as he clearly wants to, opening and closing his mouth in an attempt to find the right words. 

'I don't know if we're alone.' Is what he comes up with. 'And...' a pause. 'I don't think we're alone.' He repeats. He was going to say something else, I realize, but... didn't. 

'Then we should find them.' I stand up, wobbling as I try to get balance. Scar helps me.

'You need rest.' 

'I need to know we're not alone!' I snap back, then regret it instantly. A mountain range rises up to our right. 'We should get up there and see if we can spot anyone.' I point towards it. Scar doesn't argue. 

'Let's go.' 

It's a slow journey. My legs refuse to work correctly, even on the solid(er) ground we're on at first. Different colors start to appear in the greyscale of the world... hints of copper blocks and sandstone and shards of broken glass. A few fires burn around us, but they're easy enough to put out, not spreading any further than they already have. Then we reach the mountain. Scar has to help me climb. It's then that I realize he's got no shoes on, or any footwear for that matter. Even his trousers are short, singed by fire, and what appears to be half-treated burns join the name-sake scars covering him. 

'Scar, are you alright?' 

'I'm fine.' He lies back. 'Why?'

'You're hurt too. In fact... we should stop for a bit. You're exhausted.' We find a spot where the sharp blocks turn to softer ash, taking a seat. Scar's in a bad shape. Maybe worse than myself. 'Are you alright?' I repeat. He gives the same response. 'Scar, I know you're not fine. You got caught in whatever happened here and... and...'

'I'm fine.' His lie sounds even less believable third time around. 

'You're not.' I put a hand on his shoulder. There's a barely noticeable flinch back, some wince of hidden pain. 'Scar, you need medical help too. Don't your wizard spells work on yourself too?' He nods. 'Then why...?'

'Because it takes energy and I wanted you to be alright first.' He admits. 

'Scar...' It's all I can say back. No words will do, so I just stare out at the land. A large riverbed cuts through the center of the land, splitting the valley in half. In the distance there's the burnt remains of a forest. I frown.

This isn't Evo.

'Scar, where are we?' My voice shakes as I speak. Scar doesn't answer instantly. I ask again.

'Hermitcraft.' 

 And now, the real premise of the story.