Ch 25

I'm still blinking away the nightmare as I leave my tent. It's night, but there's no way I'm going back to sleep after that.

I grab some fireworks, taking to the air. The wind calms my nerves somewhat as I circle in the sky. It was just a dream. Everything is ok....

As I start another lap, the guilt of yesterday starts to set in again, even more so than then. I can't remove the image of Scar from my dream. Hurt. Trapped. Broken.

Another figure flies towards me, and with a stab of unease I recognise it as being Cub. He notices me too, but ignores me. I join him on the ground.

'Cub?'

'I want to be alone.'

'Sure.'

I walk away, reminding myself that he has every right to be upset and need recovery time, and take to the air again, landing on the mountain and looking down over our base, and the rising sun. The world is lit in gold and I close my eyes, basking in the warmth. For a moment, I'm calm. Relaxed. Enjoying the dawn and the beauty it brings. And then I remember watching the sun with Scar before. Before we found anyone except Doc...

Someone sits next to me, silent. I look over, surprised to see Cub. He's staring at the sunrise too.

We keep each other in silent company until it's truly daytime. A million things I should say to him come and go.

'You made the right choice.' I look over as Cub speaks, and then fall silent again. My mind struggles for a reply. There's no right thing I can give back.

'I'm sorry.' Is all I come up with. 'I... Should've told you first.'

'It's fine.'

'Is it?'

He doesn't reply. Another silence follows.

'The others are in Season 8.'

'Really?'

'They're not in Season 6 or 7. And they wouldn't go to a random world because none of us would be able to get in.'

'How do we get there?'

'Well... We can just travel through worlds...' I hold up my arm with the missing communicator.

'Scar's idea.' I explain briefly. 'So the Watchers don't track us.'

'Damn... Can you... Magic a portal? Or can we get the rift to send us there.'

'Or to season 7. And then we can travel from there to season 8. In the rift. Grumbot can connect to the first Grumbot and send the rift to there.' I stand up, confident at last. 'And then we can all find the others, go back through the Boatem Hole and... Decide what to do next.'

We both know what the other thing to decide is.

'I'll tell the others now.' I give Cub a smile and another burst of hope fills me as he smiles back. 'You coming too?'

'Yeah.' I help him to his feet before we glide down to where a few of the group are outside... Doc and Ren are chatting, Pearl is practicing a bit of fighting with Martyn. Scott's sitting alone, but seems content enough. He was looking a lot better than his shadowed face and messy hair they'd found him with.

'Everyone?' I call over. They turn to face me. More people leave their tents and I notice Joel as Bdubs aren't among them, but don't mention it. 'Me and Cub have come up with a plan.' No one talks. 'Cub figured out the others must be in Season 8, so we're planning to head there via the rift and season 7... Ren?'

'Season 8... Was a simulation. Y'know... Hermatrix and stuff.'

'Even if it wasn't, it was still destroyed by the moon.'