Ch 15

'What?' Is all I can say. Tango keeps hugging Jimmy, who's just started crying. I glance at Martyn, then back at The Sheriff.

'When did he disappear?'

'A... a couple weeks ago. No one on Empires knew where he was, or Gem and False. And then we found out about Hermitcraft and... and... how no one knew what had happened and... and...'

'It'll be ok.' I try to calm him down by saying, stepping closer and putting a hand on his shoulder. It's the first time I've ever seen Jimmy this upset, holding onto Tango like he's the only person he has left. 

'Jimmy, we'll help you find him. We promise.' 

'They took Scar too.' Cub explains quietly. 'But Grian got me, Ren, Martyn and a couple others out so we can rescue Scott and Scar too.' 

Something about his unwavering confidence almost makes me cry too. We didn't see Scott when we went to the Watcher Lands. He might've just been killed. As a message to a wider group of people. I push the emotions down and join in hugging Jimmy. A moment later Martyn does too. And Ren, and Cub, and we're just all hugging Jimmy and I think it's the kindest anyone's ever collectively been to him until... 

'Why?!' 

He pushes Tango away and the whole group hug falls apart. Jimmy breaks away from us, pacing. 

'First Evo... and now Hermitcraft... and they took Scott, and Scar, and probably others and... why are the watchers such... bad people?' Jimmy finishes lamely, before giving a terrifyingly hopeless laugh. 'And no one can fight them because they're really powerful and scary and they just do all these terrible things and no one does anything or really knows about them. No one really powerful or popular...'

'Jimmy, we're going to get Scott back.'

'You don't believe we will.' The accusation in Jimmy's eyes makes me step back. 'You're just lying to make us feel better!' 

'I'm not!' I am, and Jimmy knows it. 'Ok, maybe I am a bit. But that doesn't mean we can't.'

'Grian's right, we will get him back. Whatever it takes. And we'll get back Scar.'

'I don't believe you.' Jimmy spits, walking away. I run after.

'Jimmy, come back.'

'Go away, Grian. I want to be alone.' 

I watch him walk away, tears burning in my eyes as Martyn walks up to me. 

'He needs time to come to terms with everything.' I know he's right, sighing as the others join us. Silence, as I just stare into the distance Jimmy's disappeared into. 

'What do we do now?' Ren asks. It's the worst reminder of how much the group look to me as a leader. I don't know what I'm doing. I never have, and my voice is full of self-hate as I turn and yell.

'I DON'T KNOW!' 

'Grian?' Ren's face falls. I fight back tears as I continue.

'I don't know what to do. I thought... I don't know. I thought going here would help somehow. But all we've done is destroyed Jimmy's sense of hope and... and... I really miss Scar, and it's my fault he's gone. And it's my fault this is happening, and I'm sorry. I don't know what to do.' There's nothing I can do to stop myself from crying, pushing past the group and breaking into a sprint as I try to get away. It doesn't take long to run out of energy and sit down, hugging my knees, wings curled around me, head down as I sob. Just like I did when I was a Watcher and I'd done something wrong... hide in a corner, terrified they'd hurt me. My throat feels raw from crying but I can't stop. Every time I try I just start crying again.

'Grian?'

'Go away.' I don't care who's there. All I want is for them to disappear. But they don't, sitting next to me.

'I wanted to give you something.'

'I said go away.' 

'It made me feel better about... it.' We both know what he means. I glare over at Cub before shuffling away. 

'I don't want to talk.'

Continuing to ignore my perfectly reasonable wishes, Cub hands over a large book with orange writing and doodles on the front. I frown as I read it. 

'Scarp book?'

'He- Scar misspelt scrap as scarp in chat and I suggested he make a scrap book, but because it's his it's a scarp book.' I laugh, knowing how accurate it is for Scar to do that. 

'So he... made a scrapbook?'

'Yeah. Since Season 4.'

'Season 4?!'

'Just... look through it. I found it in his base and thought it might cheer you up too.'

'Thanks.' I slowly open the book to the first page. It's got a billion pictures of Jellie. Accurate. Each season has a couple of pages, except Season six-finity which has 4. I pause as I see myself mentioned. 

NEW HERMIT! 

There's a stick figure drawing of me, complete with socket eyes and decently accurate wings. Surrounding it is words and thoughts.

Builder!

Pranks a LOT

Poultryman? 

Watcher?? But a really nice Watcher

Big brain

Made Tag and lots of games

STARTED A WAR

HE KNOWS I'M THE JANGLER!

And then, biggest of all, underlined and circled.

FRIEND

I fight back the tears as I keep looking through the book. I start to appear more frequently as we get towards the present day, until there's just an entire page on FRIENDS, which is half about Cub and a quarter about me with all the words from before and more... desert duo... third life... DEFINITELY A VEX, which I laugh at. My emotions turn to soup as I reach the unfinished Season 9 page, closing the book and hugging it as I try not to cry again. No one's come over since Cub, and I enjoy the peace as I get out as much emotion as I can before standing and returning to spawn. Jimmy's back too. I give a grateful smile to Cub for the scarp book, silently offering to give it back to him. He shakes his head. I keep hugging it. No one talks. 

Until we get more unexpected visitors.

'Hey! Hermits!' I look over, shocked but delighted at the sight of Pearl and Gem.