Ch 5

Aaand back to Grian's perspective

I don't realise I'm sleeping until Scar wakes me up. Groaning, I squint open my eyes. Morning, I think. The sun's somewhere between the horizon and its peak, and I have to shield  my eyes from it. Scar looks over at me, smiling. He seems a lot less tired, despite his early morning bleariness. 

'How long did I sleep for?' 

'Enough time, don't worry.' I reply, stretching my wings. Pain shoots down my spine and I regret it instantly, holding up a hand to stop Scar from using up his newfound energy on me.

'It's fine. Don't worry.' Doc chooses this point to wake up too, blinking awake. 

'Guten Morgen.' He greets with a yawn. 'Was ist der zeit?' 

'Ich don't know.' I reply. 

'Did anything happen?' The German finally regains use of the English language and I shrug back. 

'I don't know, we were all asleep. But nothing seems to be different. At least... nothing new.'

'Yeah... I can't see any watchers. I'll check- oh yeah.' Scar looks over at the bandage covering his wrist. 'I removed our communicators.'

'What?' 

'In case they were tracked. Smart idea.' I explain.

'I'm keeping mine. In case something happens in chat. And it's... kind of part of my arm.' Doc holds up his metal arm, showing us. 'Don't want to accidentally stop my hand from working.' 

I get to my feet, pacing to get rid of the ache in my legs. 

'We should start finding where the rest of the hermits have gone... Doc? Does your communicator give any information?'

'Uhh... I know a whole group of them went with Xisuma to another world. Well... he certainly asked people to.' Doc recalls, joining me in standing up. Scar's quick with another spell, stitching up more of the injuries on his leg. He nods, grateful, helping him to his feet. 

'That's good... anyone else?' 

'No. I could put a message in chat.' 

'Don't mention locations. In case we're being tracked.'

He types something into chat, Scar looking over his shoulder to see what. 

'Is anyone alive still. That should do it.''

'Now to wait...'

'I'm tired of waiting.' declares Scar 5 minutes later. 'Nothing's happening... should we start travelling around to find people?' 

'Here's a good place to set up camp. It's close enough to spawn, but mostly untouched by watchers. We shouldn't just abandon it.' I argue back. 'Doc, has anything happened?'

'No... I don't want to search chat too much. See who's... dead.' 

'Oh no...' Scar has to sit down again. 'Please don't say anyone died.'

'I'm pretty sure the watchers stopped respawn. It makes sense... and there are death messages.'

'Who?' I have to ask

'TFC... Stress... I don't know if they were killed by Watchers. TFC fell to death... Stress burnt... that's all.'

As much as I try to block it out, their faces flash through my mind, bringing back thoughts of before. Evo. The ones that didn't make it.

'Grian, are you alright?' Scar's on his feet, helping me over to the mountainside before I faint, sitting me down. 

'Too many memories.' I reply simply.

'Joe's alive!' Good news at last, me and Scar look over at Doc as the message appears. 'Apparently he flew really far away, but can come back over if the Watchers are gone.'

'Tell him they're gone.' Scar replies. 'And he can come back.' 

'Just doing that... he says he's coming.' 

'Great.' I manage to say, still thinking about Stress and TFC. 'The more people we can find, the better.' 

'Agreed. And if only two people are dead...' 

'That doesn't seem right. The Watchers don't let people just... survive. They kill them, kidnap them, or brainwash them into changing their entire opinion of life and then reveal how horrible they are.' I've said too much, but no one notices. 

'Well, we already know two people they've caught.' Scar murmurs back. 'And I don't think that will be it.' 

'True... I start looking out for Joe. It's not been too long since he confirmed that he's coming, but I don't know how mine and his ideas of 'really far away' differ. It's another while until he appears, gliding down and landing with us. 

'Oh my goodness there are other people alive.' I jump to my feet. 'Do you know if Cleo got away? Or anyone else?' 

'We don't know much at all.' I explain, seeing if he has any severe injuries. It seems he's got away mostly unharmed, except for scratches down his arm from where a watcher must've grabbed him. 

'You're the only ones left.' His cheerful energy quickly fades. 'Alright. That's... I can deal with that.' He can't. 'And maybe there are other survivors or...' A moment later Joe's crying and he can't seem to stop. I hug him. Scar and Doc join in too, and we're just all trying to comfort Joe. I think Scar mutters some kind of healing spell for his arm, but I've got past the point of worrying. 

Eventually he steps away, snuffling and adjusting his glasses. 

'T...thanks. It's all been too much lately.' 

'It's ok. We've all got a lot to deal with. Take all the time you need.' Scar smiles at Joe. 'Now, come on. If we're staying here, we need to gather proper supplies and make some defences.'

'Cleo... gave me some stuff. And I grabbed some from whoever's bases I passed. I didn't... I didn't think they'd really care, given that the world was ending.' He pulls out a couple potions, and food. 'There's more in my inventory. And I've got an ender chest with me. Took it from someone's base...' 

'That's... really helpful Joe.' I wish I could take back how patronising my comment was. 'I really understand why people take them everywhere.... Or put them in shops.' 

'Cub's rule.' Scar remembers fondly. Then frowns. 'Cub's... rule.' I put a hand on his shoulder, ready for him to start crying. But he controls his emotions. 'But I've got plenty of building supplies in there.'

'There's mostly redstone in mine.'

'Defences?' I offer. 

'That's very true... how come Joe's just come and solved so many of our resource problems with a single magic chest. Why couldn't we be smart enough?'

'We were panicking. A lot.'

'I could've very easily grabbed an ender chest...' Scar grimaces.

'Yeah, but you're part of the 2 braincells club with me and Mumbo. It's alright. Now, we've got an anti-watcher base to make.' 

Happiness?

wOt?