Ch 19

'GRIAN!' We're running towards each other,  like some kind of film cliche, until we collide into a huge hug. I think Mumbo's laughing, before I step away and realise he's in tears.

'Grian- you're alive... they didn't get you...'

'It's been omega long with just us... we ended up in Season 6... and we decided to look around everything before going through to this world... a tour of Hermitcraft...' Iskall explained. 'What happened to you lot?'

'A lot.' I explain. 'Slowly finding hermits, trying to save a group of them, losing Scar, going to Empires, finding Scott's been taken too and now ending up here.'

'Scar...' Mumbo steps away, notices Cub, and then declares. 'Concorp's better than Sahara.'

Me and Cub instantly start laughing. Iskall joins in, as does Mumbo. It's been too long since I've heard Iskall's iconic laugh.

'That's amazing. Oh man, that's amazing.' Cub shakes his head, smiling from amusement. 'Scar needs to know this as soon as possible.'

The familiar emotions wash up at his name, but I manage to force them down enough to joke 'Scar's never going to let this go, Mumbo.'

'Yeah, I know... Is this everyone left?'

'There's a whole group back in the Season 9 world. Joe and Doc and Hypno and Wels...'

'Wait, isn't Sahara your own shop?' Jimmy finally figures out. 'Grian told me that...'

'Yeah, it is. Me, Iskall and Mumbo.' I reply, trying not to start laughing again. 'And ConCorp is the mega corporation Cub and Scar made.'

'Boatem's better than ConCorp.' Challenges Pearl.

'Nah, ConCorp all the way.' Replies Cub.

'You weren't even there to see how many diamonds they got...' Iskall nods as I respond.

'Seriously, Cub and Scar owned most of the shopping district. Now... Should we get going to our world? Do we have the magic to?'

'Scar had a weird exit to this world, and then through the Boatem Hole in season 8.'

'Season 8's... Destroyed...'

'There might be some way through...'

'Season 8 was just a simulation. We can't get there any more.' Agrees Ren. 'We need to go through with magic.' He looks to me and Pearl and I give a nod, preparing for the strain of using their magic again. It wells inside as I shut my eyes, notably easier to use than previously. I don't know when it's open, but hear the sound of people jumping into it, then Mumbo's voice.

'See you on the other side, Grian.' I squint open my eyes. It's only me and Pearl left here. 

'On the count of three. Three. Two. One.'

We both jump, and the portal closes behind us as we land in Season 9 again.

'I've never liked jumping through portals...' Martyn's voice is the first think I identity a I try to regain vision. It comes, and Mumbo helps me to my feet. 

'More people!' Impulse is first to declare, with a huge grin as he runs and hugs Tango. 'Where did the rift lead?'

'Empires Season 1, where we found Pearl, Gem and Tim.' I explain, realizing that we've reunited the Soup Group with a broad smile. Doc comes over too, clearly pleased Ren made it back alright. 

'Did you have any unfortunate accidents?' Joe asks as he approaches

'Uhh... we didn't.' 

'They took Scott.' Jimmy answers for us. 'The Watchers took Scott and now we're going to get him back.'

'Yeah!' Tango punches the air, one arm around his Rancher's shoulder. Everyone seems so happy about the newcomers, Jimmy introducing himself to Wels and Hypno, who he'd probably never met before. I glance at Mumbo, and we hug again, just because we can. But as I break away from the hug I see another hermit disappearing behind the camp. 

'I need to do something.' I excuse myself by saying, then jog over to join them. 

'Cub?' 

He's sat on the ground, clearly trying not to cry as he stares at the grass. I sit next to him.

'I know, it's stupid...' Is all he says, trying to play it off as a joke.

'It's not stupid.' I don't fully know what he's talking about, only that he comforted me when I got upset. 

'Everyone else has their friends back again, and can enjoy being united with them but... I don't.' Every word is spoken on the edge of tears. 'I didn't want to ruin the atmosphere.'

'Cub, it's alright.' It makes a lot of sense. Seeing everyone happy and united while Scar's not here... knowing that while they're relieved, his friend is still in the worst situation. Someone must've cracked a joke in the main area, because everyone starts laughing and I want to block out the noise as much as Cub probably does.

'It's like I don't want them to be happy, just because I'm... not.'

'We'll get him back.' I promise. 'As soon as possible.' 

'It's fine.'

'Cub, it's not fine. You don't have to be ok for everyone else's sake when Scar's... still in trouble.' 

'I keep imagining what must be happening to him...' Is the last he manages to say before starting to sob. I hug him, barely keeping back my own tears. Neither of us talk for a while, until I hear Iskall speak.

'Wait, where's Cub and Grian gone?'

Neither moved. 

'It's ok. I can... Be happy for everyone else.'

'We're going to get them back.' I stand after Cub and he stops, turning.

'You don't have to...'

'No. We need to.' 

He doesn't move as I pass by, before running after as I start to speak.

'Who's coming to the Watcher Lands with me to get back Scar and Scott?'