Ch 27

'How...' My brain doesn't comprehend. 'Why... Why...'

' Are you going to cry, Xelqua? Cry about the poor friends you left abandoned here? How many are going to die or get trapped because you refuse to rescue them?'

'If you mean Scar...'

'We were listening to your conversations, Xelqua. Watching your little meeting where you decided to give up on your best friend.'

'It was the sensible option. I'm not letting you kill anyone else.'

' We heard your philosophy before. We don't need it again. I admit I was flattered when you said we were too powerful... And started wondering why you don't want to fight us. A little one for one trade... Anything would be better than giving up on him, surely.'

'Shut up.'

'Scared the others will hear how scared you are? I'm glad you've been keeping practiced in speaking galactic. Like you were scared of us... Waiting for us to come back for you after we tried to test you with that 1 block world. Oh how badly you FAILED.'

'i'm not scared of you.' I lie. For a moment I've silenced the watcher leader.

'Do you want to speak to Scar again?'

'What?'

'We can bring him here. Don't worry, we haven't hurt him. Certainly not as much as you have...'

My brain falls to confusion and terror.

'I haven't hurt him.' I speak slowly, and they laugh.

'Tell him that yourself.'

GoodTimeWithScar joined the game

I look around, trying to spot him until... There.

He's here.

Unhurt but changed. Standing next to the All-powerful watcher as though they weren't even there.

'Scar.' I smile. He looks over. He doesn't return it, expression unreadable.

'What have you done to him?' Cub cuts through the greeting.

'You did that yourself, Vexling.' The watcher hisses in English, a terrifyingly genuine smile growing.
'I would like all of you to imagine for a moment how Scar felt. You accept his sacrifice and he's left waiting for ages, telling us over and over that you're coming back, you have a plan, as much as we warn him that Xelqua doesn't come back for his friends or worlds when he thinks we're involved...'

'Grian had no way of returning to Evo.' Martyn shoots back. 'He didn't even know we were alive, or what you did to it.'

'Are you a Listener or a talker, Littlewood?' The surprisingly witty retort works.

'And then, finally, you do come back. Oh how happy he was when he saw you coming back. Watching from the window as you entered. Waiting...'

'Window...?' My mind snags on the one word that doesn't make sense. And then I realise. 'My tower.'

'So he finally figures it out.' The all-powerful watcher speaks too  'Of course we kept him in the  Turris omnium amantium custos. And we thought you'd figured it out...and he did too, when he saw you looking up at him as you left, before turning and continuing away.. And then we share what you said... I mean, it's only kind to let him know that you're giving up on him forever. And then that his best friend, the one he thought would never give up on him, would fight until the end of time to find him, decides that you're right. You're going to leave your best friend behind with us. Oh his expression almost made me cry... Abandoned by the very people he thought would always be there. And do you know what we figured?'