Ch 29

Scar punches me.

I stagger back, holding my broken nose. Why... What... He's... He wants... My thoughts shatter and I try to find justification that aren't the worst alternative.

That he believes the watchers.

'You abandoned me...' His voice is full of hate, and confusion, and sorrow - pure, pure sorrow - aimed at me... Blaming me... And it's all my fault.

'I'm sorry.'

'You came back for me. And then... You didn't.'

'There was nothing I could've done, Scar. You're my best friend...'

'YOU'RE LYING.' I fall away, towards the edge of our arena, as he yells. 'They... The watchers are right about you. All those times you trapped me in death loops or pranked me... Or threatened me, like in Last Life...'

'Fight him. Find justice.' The watcher goads. 'He's not your friend.'

'Pranks! Harmless! You liked them! They were harmless!' I repeat, desperation growing. 'Scar... please...' He doesn't hit me again, but still stands poised to attack, eyes burning with hurt.

'You can fight him.' Invites the all-powerful watcher. 'Come on, Scar. Fight him.'

'Scar, don't.'

'You left me in that place... you abandoned me.'

'I didn't know where you were!'

'You gave up on me. That's what they told me, and now you've confirmed it. I've been waiting... I've been waiting for you to come back and you didn't.' His hands clench into fists again. I step back, aware of the bedrock behind me. 

'Scar... please... don't be stupid...'

'He's making you the villain again.' The watcher hisses, smiling coldly at me.

Scar punches me again. I hit the wall, sliding to the ground. 

'Every time you get to be the hero... and Scar's the villain. The turf war... Concorp... every time you two are set against each other, Grian gets to be the hero and poor Scar is left to be the poor, poor villain. The bad guy. It's time to stand up for yourself again, Scar.' 

'I'm not the villain.' He whispers. 'You don't get to make me the villain.' 

'I'm not... Scar... believe me...'

'Scar!' Cub calls over, pain filling his voice. 'Please, man...'

Again, he ignores. 

'He's letting you win because everyone will miss him. Everyone's forgotten you already, Scar. You're not important. But if you kill Grian... everyone will hate you. That's his trick. That's why he's doing this.'

'Stop listening to them!' I plead. 'They're lying!'

'And how do I know you're not?' It takes a moment to realise it's a genuine question.

'Because you're my friend and I'd never lie about something this serious,' I try to look in his eyes, but can't, the emotion filling them too much to bear. 'Seriously, Scar. Just step away and believe me.'

He doesn't. I painfully rise to my feet, wincing, raising my hands in surrender. 

'They've decided they hate me because they have you to be their... god.'

'Omnis Amantes.' He replies. I blink at the name they always referred to me as 'You owned that tower room...' his expression changes to surprise, but then shifts suddenly to anger. 'All that time I thought you actually hated it there when you got the best room in the whole place. No wonder you always walked around Hermitcraft like you owned the place... because you were treated as a GOD.'