1.2

»»»

"Higher."
"Like this?"
"A bit more."
"Now?"
"A little bit more."
"If I stretch myself more I'm gonna fall," Hoseok whined. Arms already hurting from holding the garland up all this time. "I'm sure it was high enough here," he said then, lowering his hand and steadying himself on the metallic ladder.
Taehyung became sulky, Hoseok could tell, but he eventually nodded. "Okay, hang it there," he agreed with a nod. It wasn't his friend's fault. He simply wanted everything to be as great as possible for Ari's party. He knew perfection could never be reached and some chaos was meant to take place. Especially with his friends attending. But at least when it came to the overall appearance he wanted it to be perfect for her.
It was irrational in a way. She was still a baby and wouldn't remember anything. Let alone understand it. However, considering her actual parents weren't able to prepare this party for her or even be present for their daughter's first birthday, he wanted to at least give her the best party possible. Even when she wouldn't remember it.

Hoseok climbing down the stairs interrupted his train of thoughts. Both inspecting their work of half an hour. "I'd say not bad," the older guy patted his shoulder. Beaming with joy. "I especially like those paper flowers on the curtains. They're cute."
Taehyung nodded in agreement. Satisfied with the result as well. The living room covered in pink and purple garlands, balloons and flowers.
"Let's see if the birthday girl likes it as well," Hoseok said then and went to pick up Ari from where she was crawling around her play yard. "So, what do you think?" he cooed while carrying her to his previous spot. "You like it?"
Ari was just staring at him, grabbing his cheeks then with a giggle. While she seemed to like all his friends, Hoseok had to be her favourite one. Maybe because he was always beaming and smiling widely when holding her. "Not me, the decoration. Look what your dad and I did for you," he laughed. Not noticing Taehyung's expression falling. "I-I forgot something," he quickly mumbled then and left the two in the living room. Once he was in the kitchen, he dragged out the breath he was holding.

In a way, he appreciated his friends seeing him as Ari's dad. But truth was he wasn't. He knew and felt that. And it broke his heart a little when knowing he could love and care for her as much as he could and it would still not be enough. Inhaling deeply, he took a look around. Everything was ready. Only the cake was missing, which Jimin was supposed to pick up.
Sliding his phone out from his pants' pocket, he decided to check on him.

Tae (5:26pm): did you get the cake?
chim (5:28pm): just wanted to call you
chim (5:28pm): i don't think I can make it in time
chim (5:29pm): im running late & traffic is wild
Tae (5:29pm): are you serious now? D:
chim (5:31pm): im sorry :(
chim (5:32pm): maybe one of the others can pick it up??

He ran a hand through his waves, biting down on his lip as he went over to their groupchat, asking if anyone else could take care of it. However, since everyone lived even further away.
"Well, fck," Hoseok yelled from the living room, having read the messages. "Should I quickly go grab it?"
"Not sure if you'd make it in time," he sighed frustrated. Remembering someone else then. Someone who lived close by the conditory. And after quickly dialing the number, he pressed the phone against his ear. Anxiously waiting for her to pick up.
"Yeah, hello?"
"Cassandra? Hey."
"Hey, Tae." She was audibly smiling from the other line.
"Could you do me a huge favour? I know it's too much to ask but no one can pick up Ari's cake an-"
"What's the address?"
He smiled at her interrupting. "It's the conditory in the mall. The cake is under my name and already paid."
"Alright, I'll go get it now." A huge weight left his shoulders when hearing her words.
"You're my savior, Cas. I owe you."
"You really don't," she giggled, "We'll be there soon." And with that she hung up. Relieved, he returned to the living room seeing Hoseok sitting on the carpet with Ari. Building a tower from her wooden bricks with her. Looking up when noticing Taehyung's presence. Anticipation in his eyes. "So? What about the cake?"
"Cassandra is picking it up," he explained. Noticing Hoseok's eyebrows raising in a surprised manner when hearing her name. "Your friend from daycare?" He sounded slightly irritated, however, Taehyung chose to ignore it and simply hummed. "So she's coming, too?"
"Uh, yeah." Letting himself plop down on the couch, Taehyung rubbed his tired eyes. All the preparations had exhausted him. He only hoped everything would go smoothly from now on.
"Huh." He faced the baby in front of him who was about to push and destroy the colourful tower he had built. "You'll get your cake!" he grinned at her.
She obviously didn't understand what was going on, but still clapped her hands happily. Hoseok's cheery voice having that effect on her. And Taehyung observed her with a fond look.