1.8

»»»

Taehyung was laying on his couch. A soft melody playing in the background from one of his 45' vinyls. Ari was on his chest, sleeping soundly while he was just enjoying the light breeze that was coming from the open windows. One of his big hands keeping the baby steady while the other was dangling lazily over the couch's edge.

His phone vibrated on the table. Indicating a new notification. He didn't feel like moving though, deciding to check it out later. An anew vibration made him arch an eyebrow at the device. Curiosity filling him. So he grabbed it. And much to his surprise he saw they were all from the same sender. Cassandra.

Perhaps she had replied to his previous message. A recording from a shop he had passed by earlier. They were playing one of her favourite old songs. 'Sway' by Rosemary Cloonly and it reminded him of her. 
And maybe it had also just been a simple excuse for him to text her. Hoping she would react in some way.
Because Cassandra appeared to be avoiding him. And he simply couldn't wrap his mind around why. Sure, it could also just be his imagination. But a week had passed without bumping into her even once at daycare, although usually that happened twice or three times a week. No matter what time he had brought or picked up Ari. As if she was purposely avoiding him. Perhaps it was a coincidence after all. However, he was certain she had purposely ignored his calls. She did still reply to his texts though. Which was a little surprising. However, her replies were short. Too short.
And he remembered her telling him how she wouldn't talk to people and ignore them when they upset her. And he wondered, what had he done to upset her this much?

What surprised him even more, however, was the fact these replies now were voice messages. Another one appearing while he was staring at the screen. Which was unusual for her. She didn't like voice messages, she had mentioned it

So he pressed play to the first message.

A melody started playing and he realised it was one of his favourite old songs. A song by Bing Crosby.

"It came up in my recommendations. Thought it'd fit as a reply or well, at least it was the best I could come up with.." Her words were followed by a small giggle.
He hadn't expected anything but when hearing her voice again after days, something inside him bursted. He had missed it. Even if it still didn't sound entirely like her usual cheerful one, rather listless, it sounded much more lively than he had expected.

Cassandra was easy to read. She always wore her heart on her sleeve. There were times she didn't even try hiding her emotions. And there were times she tried -but failed. He knew when she was excited, he knew when she was upset. And he could tell that something was up, even if she tried to act normal. The way she spoke, the sound of her voice cracking, just a little, her more reserved actions. He could tell.

He pressed play on the second one.

"Truth is, I wanted to apologise. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it in person. Because I'm a coward and wouldn't know how to properly act after.. you know." She sighed. "But I've been acting strange and you must've noticed. Obviously you did. You're not an idiot." He could hear a smile and immediately pressed play on the last message. "And I wanted to apologise for that. It wasn't fair to you. You didn't do anything wrong. And.. and it's also very childish, isn't it? I guess it doesn't matter that I'm an adult with a kid, my emotional state is that of a teenie still." She laughed faintly. "Just know that I'm aware and I'm sorry.. It's just.. I have to work some things out for myself right now. And I need some time to do so. So I hope you understand."

But he didn't. He didn't understand anything.

»»»

Taehyung's eyes shot open. It was as if Ari had called for him in his sleep. However, when he sat up, she seemed to still be sleeping peacefully in her crib. Why did he wake up then? The dream hadn't finished yet. It cut off at the part where-