1.7

»»»

Cassandra was tapping her finger along to the rhythm of the song from her playlist. Exhaling deeply while observing a bee on a hydrangea. She peeked at the digital clock on the sideboard. 6:38pm. Over twenty minutes had passed since Taehyung had disappeared in the house to pick up Ari. She was wondering what took him so long.

Boredom was taking over her and she started scrolling through her phone. Clicking through the photos she had taken the past two days. There weren't many of that day as both slept in till 2pm. Both joking during 'breakfast' about how their bodies were aching from almost pulling an all-nighter and not sleeping in an actual bed. Making them feel quite old.
She had taken plenty of photos yesterday, though, so it was alright.
Her thumb paused when coming across one of Taehyung. He hadn't noticed her taking that photo of him. It wasn't even anything special, she always took photos of the people she was with. Secretely hoping they'd do the same for her, but usually didn't.
He was laying on a bench under a tree. With his arms folded under his head and eyes closed. A single sunray peeking through the leaves exactly onto his face. She had caught him from the side as she was standing a couple feet away. Liking the way the town was stretching in the background.
Now looking at it more he was looking completely at ease there. The carefree impression he would usually give to her. However, she knew that wasn't true. Even if just little, he had allowed her to take a peek behind that first impression. And yet, she liked the photo. His handsome side-profile getting sun-kissed like that.

She inhaled deeply and continued scrolling.

Another five minutes passed and she decided to wait for him outside. Stretching her legs before the long car ride back. She was propping herself on the hood when suddenly the front door opened. Her eyes rose, expecting to see him with the little girl finally returning. However, much to her surprise, someone else exited. An older woman coming out of the house.
She didn't seem to notice Cassandra, a frown all over her face adding crinkles to it. She climbed down the stairs of the front porch then and just stood there. Staring at the distance with her arms crossed. Curiosity got the best of Cassandra, so after a few moments of peeking between her and the smartphone, she decided to walk the few steps towards the woman.

"H-hello, is everything alright?"

The woman's head turned to look at her. Her short waves swaying as she did so. "Yes, yes.."
"I didn't want to be rude. I just saw you walk out of the house and you seem.. upset?"
The woman sighed and looked down at her arms.
Cassandra smiled then. "You're Ari's grandmother, right?"
She furrowed her brows, squinting at Cassandra. "Do I know you?"
"No, you don't," she said with a polite smile, "But I know Ari. I'm a friend of Taehyung's."
Her brows rose and she nodded. A light scoff coming from her lips which Cassandra decided to ignore. They grew silent then. The younger woman not knowing what she was supposed to do. But she was able to count one and one together. She could think of the reason Ari's grandmother left her house and was standing there upset now. Probably the same reason it took them so long to return. "You know," Cassandra began than slowly, "He's doing a good job, with Ari I mean. He always gives his best."
The woman's eyes fell on the ground. An almost sorrowful expression on her face. "I know," she mumbled quietly. "But he isn't my son."
"No, he isn't. And he isn't his sister. But he still loves her just as much." She paused, feeling a light breeze picking up. "He really does his best when it comes to Ari. And isn't that the most important thing?"
"Of course, it's just.." The woman's voice trailed off. Remaining silent for a moment. "She's.. she's the only thing left of our son. And she's so far away from us."
"But he keeps bringing Ari here so you can spend time with her, doesn't he? Many others wouldn't."
The woman hummed. Not able to object.
"How was your son?"
And for the first time she saw the older woman smile. It was a light, dreamy one. "He was a good child. Always happy and friendly."
Cassandra nodded quietly. "I couldn't imagine losing my daughter. I'd probably go mad."
She arched a brow at her. Seemingly taking an interest in her. "You have a child?"
"Yeah, a 9-month-old daughter. That's how me and Tae met. We bring the girls to the same daycare." The woman nodded. "I don't know what happened in the house," Cassandra said then, her voice getting a little sterner, "But I can guarantee you that Ari gets taken care of the best way possible. I wished.. I wished my daughter had someone like him in her life."
The woman glanced at her for a moment. Musing over her words. Eventually giving her a fond smile. "As a mother, I trust your words."
Cassandra nodded vigorously, offering her a wide smile as well. "As a mother, I can ensure you that. So don't be so hard on him."
"I know.. I know." She sighed, looking away. And much to Cassandra's surprise, the woman gave her a light pat on the shoulder. "It's getting late. You need to get back.. I should probably go inside. Say goodbye." She gripped the metallic railing and started walking back up the stairs, one by one when stopping in her tracks. "I never caught your name." It sounded more like a question than a statement.
"Cassandra, my name's Cassandra." Ari's grandmother hummed and continued her way up. Getting back inside. 
Cassandra stayed a couple more minutes before also heading back to the car. Figuring out Taehyung and Ari would return soon. At least she hoped so. She couldn't be sure if her words did change the woman's mindset after all. It had at least seemed like it. So when the front door eventually opened again, this time revealing Taehyung with Ari in his arms and her bag on his shoulder, she sighed in relief.