That Sinking Feeling

She was just lying there. Lifeless, unmoving, and peaceful. For a moment, I forgot how much stress she had for the past month. I glanced at the alcohol and cigarettes on the table and floor. I just wish she had 'healthier' coping methods. Her boyfriend, who was a pretty chill dude, was on the couch snoring as loudly as a human can. I shook my head and started cleaning up the place, being as silent as I could. This was becoming a normal occurrence, regretfully. It always bugged me when this happened. I have homework to do, yet here I am cleaning up after my mom. Cleaning her vomit, taking school days off to care of her when she's sick. Is it bad to say that it annoyed me to no end? It's not like she was always like this, only recently. Ever since that night.

After I had cleared the floor, I placed a blanket on David, my mom's boyfriend, to keep him warm. The next thing on the agenda? Carry mom to the bedroom. Dragging her arms would prove ineffective, perhaps supporting her from the under arms can work? I tried my best at solving this equation. Quite literally, looking at every angle. In the end, I assumed it would be best if I get a couple of blankets and a pillow to at least make her comfortable.

By the time I finished completely cleaning the place, I was already in my room feeding the hermit crabs in my tank, making sure each one got enough food. Their day must've been as boring as mine.

Having completed all the small chores I had to do, I closed and lock the door of my bedroom. Hoping that my mom doesn't wake up too quickly. Bringing out my books from the school bag laying there lazily, I prep myself to work on them. I opened the English homework first, get the worst one out of the way, right?

My eyes were glued to the paper, unsure of how to start the essay. The words wouldn't just come. It's like each and everyone of them folded into paper airplanes and flew out of my brain they deemed a sinking ship. It doesn't matter much though, since I wouldn't be able to write them either. My hand writing is only something with hooves can write, after all.

I grabbed the pencil slowly, gripping it awkwardly.

(PLAYER 1 HAS CHOSEN A NEW QUEST!)

NEW QUEST: Complete English homework.

DIFFICULTY LEVEL: A

ESTIMATED TIME TO COMPLETE: who the hell knows?

CHANCE OF WINNING (based on player's skill level): 5%

REWARD: ???

PENALTY FOR FAILING: 0%

( ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO CHOOSE THIS QUEST?)

*YES                *DO I REALLY HAVE A CHOICE?     *PLEASE NO

Five messed up papers later, I took a quick break outside of my room. Not wanting to look at the very solid proof of me not being able to complete my homework.

I opened the fridge, knowing that nothing in there was going to satisfy me. In the end, I grabbed a snack from David's bag that was left unattended. He had many in there so it didn't matter If I took one. While munching on some chips, an idea came to my head. Maybe I should ask David for help? I'm pretty sure he told me he was an English major. Or did he say he majored in philosophy? Are those the same things? How about I watch some T.V to clear my thoughts?

A couple of hours of watching stuff on my computer, I heard a loud slam of the door. I stepped out my room and saw my mom walking out of her bedroom with new clothes. It was almost ten in the night. Where was she going?

"Mom, what are you doing?" I called out to her. Realizing that I haven't spoken a full sentence in almost half the day. It's weird to hear my voice out loud.

"What do you think? I'll be out for a while," she said, grabbing her car keys.

"Take David with you then. He's been here all day. You shouldn't leave him like this."