Football

It's an uncanny thing to team up with your half-brother who has been ignoring you for over a month. On one hand, he's otherwise cooperative. On another hand, you can hear him mutter passive-aggressive comments every once in a while. 

Truthfully, I don't know why he told me he would help me. Maybe he was completely influenced because of his mother. I know I am. Still, for someone who's hated me since I got here, he was rather quick to agree.

 I place my paintbrush in the water, already finished with my artwork. I decided to keep myself idle while waiting for my uncle to come home. I wanted to immediately search for the figurine, but I thought it would be best to ask my uncle. It might save me hours of work and time. A mansion is a big place, after all.  I lean into my chair, pushing it further, but not enough to fall. I wonder how Ashur simply just said...yes. Sure, it's about his mother but still. It's weird. Why was he so quick to join my investigation? No one joins that quickly unless they have doubts beforehand. What is he hiding? What does he know? 

Before I can dwell on the thought, someone knocked on my door. I jump, causing my chair to completely fall. The door opened, and Chase stood in front of me. His blonde hair was rather messy, and wet. As if he just took a bath. Before coming to me, I saw him put something on the desk.

"Ah-Sorry, are you ok?" He asked, kneeling to pick me up. He grabbed my arm with startling gentleness, and I couldn't help but flinch. If he was pretending not to notice, I wouldn't know. He dusted me off and observed me for what I assume are cuts, "God, again, I'm so sorry."

"It's fine. It's my fault anyway. I shouldn't have been playing with the chair." I move his hands away from me, "Why are you here? Is something wrong?"

His face went completely red. 

"Well, actually- you know what? It's stupid. I should just go back and-" He looked at my desk, which were still  covered with my paint supplies, "......You like to paint?"

"Well, I mean, yeah. Didn't I say that when I first came here?"

He furrowed his brows. And I can take that as a 'I wasn't paying much attention' look. 

"I didn't know that. That's pretty, um,  cool. Have you considered joining the art club in school?"

"Nope, and I doubt I ever will. Now stop changing the subject, and just spit out why your here."

Chase sighed, and cleared his throat. I've never seen him like this. It actually made me scared to know what he wanted to say. 

"Well, It seemed that you like cooking...So I bought you a cooking book? I just saw it in the store, and thought of you..so..." He inched closer to my desk and grabbed the thing on the desk he put away. No, the cooking book. I stifle a laughter.

"You just want me to cook more food for you, don't you?"

At first, his eyes widened in surprise, ready to defend himself. But it seemed he realized I was joking in that split second, and laughed instead. 

"That would be nice too."

I sighed.

"Thanks, Chase."

He gave me a smile before awkwardly leaving the room. What a stupid cousin I have. I rest the book on my desk, and cleaned up my supplies. I observe my painting. A whale in space. I'll consider it my best work until I make something better. I decide to play some music before falling asleep midday. 

When I woke up, it must be late in the night. I've been getting a lot more tired nowadays. It must be those brothers. I start to think about Chase, and my mood lightens. Well, not all the brothers. My thought drifts to the whole family drama in return, and I'm suddenly reminded of my uncle. 

He should be home by now, right? 

I rush down the stairs, almost tripping. I walk to his office, and knock on the door. It was a couple of seconds before he answered. 

"Julie? What are you doing here?"

A CHOICE HAS APPEARED! 

What are you going to say to your uncle?

(Choose wisely, the start and end of the conversation is up to you!)

* "WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT MY DEAD MOTHER? SPIT IT OUT!"

[Items to threaten him with: Random lint in your pocket]

* "Nothing, never mind. Have a good night."

* "Do you perhaps know about a certain glass figure, bought by no one in particular, and given to no one in particular?"

* "Hi uncle. How was your day?"

"Hi, uncle. How was your day?" I hate small talk. But I've learned from experience to never pounce a question on someone without at least exchanging greetings. My uncle tilted his head. 

"Well, it was alright, thank you for asking, Julie."

[2+ Social skills earned. ] 

[-1 Information earned.]

"Why'd you come here? Is there anything you want to talk about?"

"Um, yes, actually...Did your wife- I mean, Mrs. Hale, have a glass figure she bought? Perhaps she gave a spare to Clarice? Do you think she has one herself?"

Uncle Hale's face went dark, and I feel a chill up my spine. 

"No. Of course not.  I know she gave it to Clarice as a welcome to the family, but I don't see her keeping one herself. Why do you ask?"

Interesting. 

"Um, I was just wondering since Ashur had one in his room. I just thought it was cool. Ok, good night."

Before I can leave, he grabbed my hand, stopping me from leaving. 

"Hey, Julie, about your medical records?"

"Yeah?"

He thought about to for a second, a pause between us. He let go of me. 

"Nevermind. I heard you get sick often, so I hope your taking care of yourself."

I nod before leaving. I rush to Ashur's room, and knock in his door multiple times. I've got to tell him about this. Our uncle was definitely acting weird, and I bet all of my money that he was lying. Finally, Ashur opened the door, annoyance in his eyes. 

"Knock on my door one more time and-"

I push him aside to go into the room. 

"Okay, so, I asked Uncle Hale. And guess what he said? He said that Clarice had probably gotten it from your mother, but he said that Juliette wouldn't have kept one herself. But he was lying!"

Ashur leaned on the wall, his arms crossed. 

"And what makes you say that?"

"Well...My gut. But he gave me this really dark look, like, REALLY, dark look. I got a chill up my spine and everything, and....and...." I trail off, forgetting my sentence for a second, "And then he  changed the topic of conversation."

Ashur sighed. 

"Fine. If you think he was lying, who am I to say that he's not. So..We're looking for this thing? You don't think it might have been thrown away?"

I did consider that. But what would it hurt to look? If we find something it means I get what I'm looking for. If not, I just leave it alone. 

"I don't know. But I think it'd be fun. Besides, I get to explore the rest of the mansion a little more."

"Ok. Now please get out of my room. I prefer for my sleep to be uninterrupted."

I roll my eyes and walk out. 

"Remember, we're looking for it when we both have free time-"

The door slammed shut. I kick it lightly before walking to my room. Again, Ashur just agrees with me. Why does he just believe everything I say? It's suspicious. I shake my head off of the thoughts, and return to my room.