Mockingbird

My mom held me in her embrace. Her hand softly stroking my hair as I whimpered. Tears still covering my vision.

"Did you have another nightmare?" She asked, whispering sweetly. I nodded.

"Don't worry. I'm here now."

***

I really enjoy my time alone, sometimes. At least I had nothing to worry about when it came to people. The brothers minded their own business, and I, mostly, minded my own. Especially after the fight.

But on weekends, I have noticed that the boys all go their separate ways. Chase always went to do community service. I assume Xavier meets up with his friends. Roman goes to music classes. Asher always went to play at his friend's house, and I don't know where Blake goes. I did, though, learn that Julien, Jason, and Mason were triplets. But it's not like I had any doubt of otherwise. Usually, on the weekends, they went to parties and just hung out. Usually.Because today, they're staying home. The triplets, that is.

I sat on the couch desperately trying to read the book my uncle got me, and failing to do so. Everybody had left except Roman and the triplets. But the difference was that Roman was about to leave the house, and the triplets weren't getting ready to do anything.

He packed his violin in the case and carefully picked it up and looked up at me.

"Are you really trying to read that book?" He said with his eyebrow raised. I closed the book partially, letting my thumb mark the page I was reading at.

"And what's wrong with that?"

He glanced at the cover of my book.

"It's just that I never took you as a reader. You must be bored out of your mind right now. Soon enough, you'll stop reading it."

Well, yes. That is true. The book was a self-help book that I picked randomly out of the bookcase. There were plenty of self-help books there, and this seemed like the less boring.

"No. I'm actually really interested in this book."

So I have absolutely no idea why I said that. He shrugged, a smile tugging at his lips. Then headed to the door and opened it. Roman looked back at me.

"I'll be back at three; make sure the triplets don't get into trouble."

He closed the door and left me the only one in the living room. Make sure the triplets don't get in trouble? That's like attempting to stop a hurricane. And considering what happened when I first met them, it would seem that I would keep their secret whenever they do something foolish. Instead of stopping them from doing something foolish.

Oh, whatever. I wonder when Robert will be back. He went to buy groceries, so I doubt that he'll be gone for long. Hopefully. I opened my book again. Page ten. Just page ten. This is hell, but I will read at least one book from the many my uncle bought me. Even if it kills me.

I don't know for how long time passed, but I know I am now on page fifty. Half way through one-hundred, in a four hundred page book. But suddenly, the doorbell rang. Is it the social worker?

I put my book down and walked towards the door, hoping to get a glimpse of the person outside. I heard footsteps coming down the stairs, quite in a rush, aren't they? I turned around to see the three boys.

"Don't answer that!" Jason exclaimed.

"And why shouldn't I?" I said, my hand on the door handle.

"Keep your voice down! She might hear you."

She? So she's a she.

"You were the one shouting."

"Look, just go upstairs and into your room. And don't come out until we tell you." Julien told me.