Bonus Chapter: Blue

Rebecca was a ghost, and not even the harmful kind. She was the one that you would pass though the corridors and get a chill up your spine. The one everyone ignored, unless forced to notice.  And she didn't mind. Rebecca was fine with doodling in her notebook as the class made noise. She with her name being forgotten. 

She scribbled in her notebook, making random lines as a poor attempt to combat her boredom. Next to her was a group of boys who crowded one table, talking about the new video game or show. Their chatter was like buzzing in her ears. The kinds bees made in their hive once you got too close. She gritted her teeth. Only a few hours. Only a few hours until school was over, and she would be back home. 

Three knocks on her desk distracted her from her thoughts. She looked up to see a brunette and pale skin. The girl was sitting on a backward chair, with a desk right in front of her. She gave Rebecca a smile. 

"Your name's Rebecca, right? I was calling your name, but you weren't answering," The girl had a melodious voice, one riddled with highs and lows, and very exaggerated. Rebecca stared at her eyes. They were brown from further inspection. Rebecca looked at her notebook again. 

"Why? Do you need something?"

Rebecca didn't hear her, not at all. She suspected that it had to do with the boys right next to her. But she wasn't going to tell the girl that. The girl tilted her head, and put one finger to her mouth. 

"Hm..No, not really. I just wanted to talk to you."

"Me?"

The girl giggled, but Rebecca didn't know what was so funny. Why was she always smiling? What was there to be happy about?

"You don't recognize me, do you?"

That gave Rebecca a start. Did she know her? She searched the girl for anything familiar, and was getting nothing. Was she lying? But what would that do? Rebecca swallowed, trying to come up with something to say-

"I'm the new student. I introduced myself just last week. I mean, I was absent for a couple of days, but I didn't think it was enough to forget about me."

"You must not have been very memorable then," Rebecca said absently. But after a second, she realized that it came off a bit harsh. Biting her lip, she felt like hiding in a hole. It didn't even make any sense, now that she thought about it. The girl in front of her was nothing short of gorgeous. Rebecca doubted anyone would forget her face. The girl drew her brows together, and Rebecca was getting ready to take it all back, until she smiled again. 

"Do you think?" Her face was flushed, and she tucked her hair behind her ear, "That'd be a relief. I botched my introduction. It was so embarrassing."

Guilt curled in her stomach. She hadn't meant to be so mean.

"...I don't think it could've been that bad."

"Oh, no, it was definitely bad. If it's one thing I hate about going to a new school, it's having to introduce myself to the entire class."

Rebecca nodded. Still embarrassed with herself for saying that. She was about to apologize, and  reassure her that it was definitely was not what she meant, but the girl suddenly looked the other way. Her brow eyes narrowing. Rebecca turned her head to the direction she was looking at, and saw only a glimpse of a person. 

The girl looked back at her. 

"Oh, um, it was nice to meet you, but I have to go. We'll continue this conversation later," The girl rushed out her words before getting up, and walking out of the door. Rebecca wondered who was there, but immediately continued her scribbles. Her mind absent again. 

****

The walk home was a tiresome one. Not only because of the work she did at school, but because of the work she knows she's going to have to do at home. She stepped onto the porch and opened the door, the stench completely overwhelming her. She grimaced. 

"I'm home.." Rebecca whispered, already taking off her shoes. The house was a mess. Clothes laid on the floor, and the kitchen was full of dirty dishes. On the couch laid her mother, completely asleep. Her mother was hard working and strong. But wasn't very good with the household chores, how could she, when she's never home? Rebecca's dad was a no good man. Who went out everyday doing god knows what, and had the audacity to come home with no money. Rebecca grabbed a blanket and threw it on her mother. 

If only things were different. 

People often said that money does not solve everything, but they could solve enough. Her mom might leave her dad, they can get a good house, she can afford to pay tuition for college. It could solve all of her damn problems.  Most of them came from the absence of money, anyway. Rebecca promised herself that when she was older, she would marry someone rich. Someone who can support her, and her mom's lifestyle. 

Rebecca stopped herself from getting carried away with her daydream, and started doing the dishes. 

***
The next day of school was an 'okay' one. She helped the teachers straightened up the classroom, and she continued her life as a ghost.

"Good morning, Rebecca!"

She startled. 

"What?"

In front of her was the same girl from yesterday. And the same, huge, smile. 

"How are you?" 

"Fine," Rebecca dead panned. 

"That's great!  Oh, by the way, I'm Juliette. But you can just call me Julie. I forgot to tell you that yesterday, didn't I? Sorry."

"It's fine..." Rebecca glanced at Juliette, and was met with shining eyes that were full of expectation. "....Julie."

Juliette brightened, and showed her that same smile. Rebecca sighed. She suppose her days of being a ghost was over.