It's not Valentine's Day

I found a love letter in my locker. It wasn't addressed to me, though. A weird little thing. I didn't open it yet, but I've been carrying it for most of the day in my bag. The first time I found it, it smelled of perfume. Although it pains me to think this, someone might've mixed up lockers. How embarrassing.

I brought out my math notebook and opened it on my desk. I was the first one in class since the bell rang, but more people were coming in. Oliver walked in with two girls beside him. I only recognized the girl with the red hair. Weirdly enough, even though he was smiling, he looked pretty tired.

He looked at me, and we locked eyes. He gave a small wave to the girls and sat next to me, finally dropping the smile. Oliver has been doing this for a couple of weeks. Whatever class we had together, he sat next to me. Always.

"Here again, aren't we? Buddy, deskmate, pal?" I asked, already writing notes in my textbook.

"Shut up, will you?"

"Shut up, will you?" I mocked him, and he grunted. I chuckled and moved my notebook closer to his so that he can see. Weeks of being his honorary deskmate, I now have knowledge of what subects he hates, what he likes, and what he's bad at. It's become a bit of a habit to let him see my math notes.

"Thanks," He whispered. I nodded.

"In return, can we share textbooks? I forgot it."

He rolled his eyes but still passed me it.

After class, he sat next to me while everyone left. Lunch was next, but he didn't move an inch. He sighed.

"I really don't want to go."

I tilted my head.

"Where?"

He glanced at the two girls, the two who came in with him. They were talking to each other. I shrugged, and started packing my bag.

"Shit," He whispered, turning his head towards mine, as if they wouldn't see him anymore if he did that. "They're coming."

"Oooh, how scary," I teased him while lifting my backup up. I moved forward only to be met with the red-haired girl in front of me. She had green eyes like the seaweed at the bottom of the ocean, and a very serious expression.

I smelled a whiff of her perfume and recognized it from the love letter. My face goes hot, and I step back. She wasn't focused on me, though. Instead, it was on Oliver.

"You ready?" She asked.

He glanced at me wearily. Is he asking for my help?

Finally, a look of defeat crossed his features.

"Yeah, let's go."

They all walked out of the classroom, all of their backs turned. I don't like to intervene in most things, but I couldn't get Oliver's tired face out of my mind. Even though he's a fake friend, the word friend is still there.

"Wait, Ollie!"

Ollie? I only said that on the spur of the moment, but I might as well add it to my list of nicknames for him. He turned at me, and for the first time in a while, he didn't glare. He looked surprised.

"Weren't you supposed to share your notes with me at lunch? You know I can't do it any other day, the test is tomorrow. You promised."

Why am I doing this? Why am I doing this? Why am I doing this?

At least the excuse was believable. Oliver was known for helping people with their studies. No, Oliver was known for helping many people on the regular. He let out a nervous laugh.