Red Chrysanthemums

"He's not my boyfriend. He's just a friend," I said for about the hundredth time today. Robert opened the front door to the mansion, and I step inside. Immediately I let down my bag, and try to go upstairs, but Robert stopped me.

"Where do you think you're going?"

I let my mouth fall wide open. Is he really going to lecture me again? I had to listen to him rant on the phone; I had to listen to him rant in the car, and now I have to listen to him rant some more? 

"Have you eaten yet?"

Oh, thank god. 

I looked at the bowl of pasta and dug my fork into it. I already thanked Robert. He made it for lunch, but I wasn't there, so he saved a plate for me. My uncle wasn't home, but that's normal. Sometimes it feels like Robert and I are the only ones living in the house. Especially on the weekends.

I kind of forgot that we had developed some kind of camaraderie over the fact that almost everyone in the house was some kind of douche. He must've been worried about me. Even though I didn't really break any rules, it's not like me to not come home immediately after school.

"I'm sorry for not calling you," I whisper before taking another bite. Robert smiled. I don't think I need to tell the truth of the situation, just yet. 

The steam coming from the bowl went up all the way up to the ceiling, and I watch it. It feels nice for someone to cook for me, and to greet me when I come home late. And the next thing I know, I have to stop myself from smiling while Robert starts to lecture me. Especially when I heard him take a softer tone.

I was talking about my day to him, until I heard a large slam of the door. I roll my eyes, that's definitely Xavier. What was he doing outside? He looked frantic and searched the room with his eyes, until they landed on me. He let out a sigh of relief and walked towards me, I push down my instinct to run the other direction.

Xavier leaned on the counter next to me.

"Where the hell were you?"

I glanced at Robert wiping down the counters, and leaned towards Xavier. 

"Where you left me. I was there where you left me, for three hours. Why didn't you guys wait for me?"

Xavier grabbed my wrist and immediately I yanked it away. Xavier didn't look shock, he stared at Robert. 

"Just follow me."

At that moment, the triplets walked into the house being as rowdy as ever. And Xavier glared at them. Mason must've noticed because he tried to go back outside, but Jason held him back by holding his shirt. 

I slide off my chair and follow Xavier to the path that led to my uncle's office, and then to my uncle's door. 

"What the hell? Are we even allowed in here?" I ask. Xavier just shrugged and opened the door. It was dark, and obviously empty. Still, the light from the hallway illuminated some part of the room. Mason was about to close it, but I pointed at him.

"Don't you dare. I'm not spending time with you guys in a closed space."

Mason eyes widened. 

"But-"

"If you close that door, I'm leaving." I walk towards the door, "If we are going to close it, then I'm standing next to it. Actually, no,  I'll be right in front of it."

Mason sighed, but he let me close the door anyway.  Instead he turned on the light in the room. And as said, I stood in front of it. Blocking the path for the brothers to get out. Xavier leaned on the wall across from me.