Four-Leaf Clover

"Oh, dear. That sounds bad." An old woman told my mother when she was asked to take care of me when I was sick. I always got sick easily when I was a child. It caused my mom a lot of trouble when I was younger. But whenever I was, my mom would bring me a four-leaf clover. She knew I loved anything that meant good luck. Thinking about it now, they must've been fake.

***

I can't believe I'm dialing Oliver's phone number at six in the morning. But here I am. That pie was absolutely delicious, but I can't eat anything anymore. And I definitely cannot go to sleep. Hence me calling Oliver. Finally, after what seems like forever, he answers.

"Hello? Who is this?" He said in a groggy voice.

"Julie."

There was a long pause, and for a moment, I think he hung up. But when I hear his voice again, my worry is put to rest.

"What's wrong? Why are you calling me so early in the morning?"

"Have you ever heard of the phrase, don't put all your eggs in one basket? Well, I was thinking, what if-"

Okay. He definitely hung up this time. What a shame. I had so many more phrases to tell him about. I'll call him in a couple of hours, but first, I shall eat at least one cookie. But as soon as I reach for one, I see a hand already taking one. I look behind me, and what do you know? It's Chase.

"Good morning, Julie. Why are you up so early?" He said, and I take in his features. He was wearing a black suit today, and his hair was neatly done. His entire look reminded me a lot like Uncle Hale.

"Where the hell are you going?" I say, glaring at him and the cookie in his hand.

"Job interview." Chase replies, and takes yet another cookie from the plate. He didn't even ask.

"Well, go then. And stop eating my cookies." I cross my arms. Chase was silent for a moment while staring at me. Finally, he spoke.

"I heard about what my brothers did. The real story." Chase sighed, " I'm sorry that they're like this. It's been a bit hard for them to accept this new situation."

"Your brothers are immature and way too curious for their own good."

Chase raised an eyebrow to that, but didn't say anything. I start to fiddle with my fingers. I suppose I'm also way to curious for my own good.

"Um, by the way, do you know anything about my mother?"

Chase stared at me. There was a long pause before he spoke.

"Why?"

"Your dad told me they were friends once in college, and that he had met her before Francis."

Chase's brows furrowed, and it looked like he was thinking. About what? I couldn't tell you.

"He said that to you? I didn't think.....Why would he say that to you?"

I ignore his puzzlement.

"Do you know anything about it?"

"Not at all. As for as I'm concerned, your mom is simply someone who had an affair with my uncle."

I cringe at the word affair, but I don't say anything. Instead, I sip of some of my tea quietly.

"If that's all, I'll be leaving." Chase said, and grabbed another cookie, but I didn't look back. I didn't look back until I heard the door close. I suppose the topic of my mother's affair still makes me a bit...funny.
***
Hours have passed already, and most of the brothers have woken up. Blake disappeared as usual, while Roman has already went to music class. Xavier left too. And Ashur went to stay at his friend's place. Again.

Not that I mind.

I decided to read one of Oliver's books on the couch. Books have never been my favorite things in the world, but I read it anyway.

I'm about fifteen pages in until I hear the triplets laughing as they walk down the stairs. I try to hide my face with the book, a useless hope that somehow, they wouldn't notice me.

But when Jason tears the book from my hand, I roll my eyes.

"Hey, cuz." He said with a grin.

I try to grab the book away from his clutches, but I was too small. All three of them looked casual, but still dressed to go somewhere.

"What are you reading now?" He opened the book, almost comically, and started reading while somehow still fighting me off. How strong is this guy?

"Just give it back you-"

I slip. But before I can hit the floor completely, Mason caught me. He gave me a nervous smile, and I struggle out of his grip.

"Thanks."

All he did was nod shyly. Didn't he want to tell me something yesterday? What was that about?

"Do you have any plans today?" Jason asks, and I put my arms on my waist.

"Why?"

He shrugged, and I can see a playful glint in his eyes.

"Want to go somewhere?"

***
Sorry that my chapters are shorter than usual. I've been very busy lately, and a bit tired honestly.