CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN

BRYLE'S POV

I got inside my room and sat on the edge of the bed before I looked at her phone. I didn't have a password so I was able to clearly read the message.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Annoying Bestie

ANSWER MY GODD*MN CALLS, RANDL...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I shook my head. So even her best friend has that kind of language. Hindi ko napigilang mapangiti nang maalala ang asar na asar na mukha niya kanina sa kotse. I was about to walk to my bathroom when her phone vibrated, and another message popped in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Annoying Bestie

Just make sure to take your medicines, pl...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Natigilan naman ako sa nabasa ko. Medicines? I was brought back when her phone rang, her best friend was calling. As much as I don't want to invade her privacy, there was a part of me where I want to make sure of her well-being. Sorry, Randle.

"Hell—"

(RANDLE ANNE IRRAH G. MIÑOZA! SINASABI KO SA 'YO! ISANG ARAW MO PANG — T-Teka nga.) There was a short pause. (Wait, number 'to ni Dle, diba?)

I cleared my throat before speaking. "Yes, actually. Naiwan niya ang phone niya sa bahay."

(Wait. I'm confused. W-Who are you? Why do you — Why was her phone left with you?)

"I'm Bryle Juarez—" Her sudden shriek caused me to stop talking. "I-Is everything okay?"

(OMG! OMG! RANDLE! MASASAMPAL KITA! OMG!)

I somehow panicked with her words. "W-Why would you slap her?" alanganin kong tanong sa babaeng tumitili pa rin.

(Nako naman kasi! Hindi naman sinabi sa akin ni Dle na nagpakita na pala't nagpakilala na siya sa 'yo. Myghad! Alam mo ba kung gaano ka-stalker 'yang babaeng 'yan?) I heard her laugh as if she was deeply amused. (Hindi naman niya na kwento na talking stage na pala kayo. Alam mo ba? Sobrang crush ka niyang babaitang 'yan!)

I don't know why but I got affected. I know that she likes me, she told me that herself, but I couldn't stop myself from smiling after her best friend say those words.

The woman continued to drop details about Randle and her stalking, crushing days. (So ayun na nga, kumusta naman kayo ng aking bestie? Anong level na ba? Ay teka nga! Umamin na a siya sa 'yo?)

I chuckled. After saying those, she has the guts to ask me if her best friend already confessed. "Yeah, she already said that she liked me." And that it's painful for her to do so.

(Ay malakas! 'Yan ang bestie ko! So anong stage niyo na nga — ayy oo nga pala. Hindi mo pa pala na sasagot. Saang bahay niya naiwan 'yang phone niya?)

"Uhh... my house, why?" I heard her squeal again. "W-Why are you squealing again?"

(OMG! Ba't siya nasa bahay niyo? Ano ba! Magkwento ka naman!)

The woman acted as if we were close friends. Mahina naman akong natawa. "Well, long story short, I brought her to our house because she was close to screaming in pain outside when I—"

(Wait, hold it right there. Balik balik. A-Anong in pain?)

I got a hint of worry from the tone of her voice which made me remember her message early on. "I-I saw her outside of our house. People were surrounding her. She looked like she was in pain, so I carried her and brought her in my place."

There was a moment of silence before the woman spoke once again. (Anong... sinabi niyang nangyari sa kaniya?)

"Na mali raw siya ng tapak kaya nahulog siya roon sa nilalakaran niya, then mali raw ang bagsak niya kaya masakit yung binti niya—" I got cut off by the woman's series of profanities. "I know she was lying when she said those words."

Hindi na naman naka-imik kaagad ang babaeng kausap ko. (I don't exactly know your relationship with my best friend, but if she didn't tell you then I have no reasons to tell you too.) She let out a heavy sigh. (But I want to ask you a favor.)

"Sure."

(Hindi ko alam, at mas lalo na ni TIta, kung nasaang lupalop si Randle. Ang alam lang namin ay may tumakas siya rito at well... na pinuntahan ka niya. Nag-aalala ako sa kaniya pero ako mismo ay ayokong ikulong ang kaibigan ko kaya hinayaan ko na lang, in exchange, she'll make sure to contact me everyday.)

Her words made me think of many possible things and reasons why Randle would do that. She did say she wanted me to know that I'm still appreciated, but she also said that she didn't want her existence to be known by me.

(Anyway, ito na nga.) She took a deep breath. (Kung alam mo kung saan naninirahan si Randle, pwede bang ano... p-paki bisita siya... mga ano... gabi. Lampas six-thirty, ganon.)

Six-thirty? Her alarm?

(B-Baka kasi kailangan na niya ng kasama ng mga ganoong oras.)

I could feel it. There's something they're not saying. A part of me wants to know, to fully understand the situation, but there's also a part of me who wants to respect their decision.

(And Bryle?)

"Yes?"

(If you could... make her happy... even just for a while... do so. But only if you want to. Habang nandyan pa siya at hindi pa nahahanap ni Tita. Kasi paniguradong kapag nakita na siya ng mommy niya, hindi na ulit siya makalalabas ng bahay nila.)

I took a deep breath before nodding as if she could see me. "I'll take note of that. Thank you."

(Oh s'ya sige. Ikaw nang bahala sa bestie ko. Surebels naman akong matino kang tao, pero kung hindi, ako na ang hu-hunting sa 'yo, okie?)

I could not stop the chuckle that escape my lips. "Noted, Ma'am."

(Oksies. Goody good. Now. Kapag ibinalik mo na itong phone niya sa kaniya, ang sabihin mo na lang ay inilaglag ko siya sa 'yo. But don't mention the favor.)

I know I am not in the right place to ask why, so I just nodded my head. "Got it, Ma'am."

(Leah na lang. Masyadong formal naman ang Ma'am.)

"If you say so, Leah. Thank you for caring for Randle," I couldn't help but say.

(Ay bet! Bakit feeling ko macu-crush back ang aking bestie?) She laughed again. (Anyways, take care of her if you can and want. Thanks, Bryle.)

"Thank you too." After that, she ended the call. Inilapag ko naman ang phone ni Randle sa bedside table at mamayang gabi ko na lang ibabalik kasabay ng pagbisita ko.

She's probably alone in that house, based on her best friend's words. Hindi ko naman maiwasang malungkot para sa kaniya. But judging by Leah's terms, Randle's mom must be one strict mom.

Mahina naman akong natawa. Randle must really be a stubborn, rebel young lady. Napangiti naman ako saka napailing. And that lady's making me worry.