EPILOGUE

EPILOGUE

BRYLE'S POV

Weeks have passed again and honestly, para namang walang nagbago. Pareho pa rin naman naming inaasar ang bawat isa. Pareho pa rin kaming pinapangiti ang isa't isa. Mas sweet nga lang ata ngayon lalo na't kami na talaga. We even spent our Christmas together, with my grandparents, my parents, and her mom. Yep, she finally called her mom and told her where she was.

I was even sweating when Randle introduced me as her boyfriend, but no lie, I actually felt proud and loved by the woman I'm in love with.

As of now, we're in the mall, shopping for New Year's Eve at their place. Her mom invited us over, together with my grandparents and parents again, and luckily, both confirmed their attendance.

"What do you think?" She flexed her outfit after coming out of the fitting room. Randle looked cute with that baby blue off-shoulder dress.

I smiled at her and gave her another outfit. "It fits you perfectly. How about you try this too?"

"Okie!" she chirped and accepted the clothes before getting back to the fitting room.

Ilang saglit pa lang siyang nasa loob at hindi pa ulit ako nakalalayo nang marinig ko ang pagbagsak ng kung ano. I saw the same clothes I gave her on the floor now and I could here her whimpering. I quickly went to the door and knocked nonstop. "Dle. Dle! Open the door, please!"

I then heard the lock slowly open, with almost a lot of pauses before it got through. Once done, I carefully and quickly opened the door, hoping I would not hit her. I knew she might just be having her sudden attacks, but it still catches me off guard sometimes.

Without saying anything, I carried her and went to our car. I also dialed Tita Lilliane's number to inform her about Randle. Nagging mabilis ang bawat galaw, ang bawat pangyayari. I could just see Randle on a stretcher, entering the emergency room. I waited outside for Tita Lilliane, only to see her running in my direction with Leah and my parents. Mom and Dad comforted me as I did not notice that I ended up crying while I stare at the emergency room's door.

At sa hindi ko maipaliwanag na mga oras na iyon, two days have passed and I found myself sitting on the chair beside the hospital bed that Randle was occupying.

"The sunrise is beautiful, isn't it?" I asked her as we looked at the rising sun over the window of her hospital room. We really got this spot since we both loved watching the sun.

Kahit nanghihina na ay nakuha niya pa ring matawa. "Yeah, but unfortunately, I have to say that sunsets are more beautiful."

My eyes began to tear up when I got what she meant. I looked at her and caressed her face. "I... I want to spend my sunsets and sunrise with you."

"I do too." She weakly smiled at me, making me think as if everything was okay. "So, I'm sorry if we can't do that anymore." Randle took a deep breath. "Promise me one thing, hmm?"

I did my best not to cry and just forced myself to smile instead. "What is it?"

Kahit halatang nahihirapan, pinilit pa rin ni Randle na i-angat ang kamay niya para abutin ang mukha ko. Kusa na lang akong gumalaw para hindi na siya mahirapan pa. "Make sure to keep my sun shining again and always." She sounded so weak.

Hindi ko naman na napigilang maluha sa sinasabi niya pero pinilit ko pa ring ngumiti habang hawak ko ang kamay niyang nakahawak sa pisngi ko. "Stay with me and that happens."

Randle let out a weak chuckle as her tear fell from her eye. "As much as I want to, we both know I no longer can."

I began sobbing hard. "I don't want to lose you." I held her hand a little tighter, afraid that she'd leave me very soon.

"Y-You won't. I'll... always be with you no matter what."

We both stayed quiet and only our sobs and breaths could be heard inside the room. Alam kong malapit na niya akong iwan pero sa totoo lang, ayoko pa.

Kung pwede lang makipagtalo sa Diyos, kung pwede lang i-utos sa kaniyang 'wag muna, na hindi pa pwede, ginawa ko na.

Pero alam kong hindi pwede. I can no longer be with her because God wants to be with her now.

"I want to dream of us now," she said, almost as a whisper.

I wasn't able to control my cries and sobs now as they became louder and harder. Even though I don't want to let her go now, I forced myself to stand up and softly kissed her forehead. "Dream well of us, ma cherie. I love you. I always do."

"I love you too." Randle let out another weak smile as she slowly closed her eyes.

Since then, I wasn't able to see her brown eyes again.

It has been three years since Randle left this world and I have never once forgotten her. I had gloomy days — as if I wouldn't have those, but I did promise her to keep her sun shining.

"Alam kong binabantayan mo 'ko riyan sa itaas. I'm keeping my promise, right, ma cherie? Hindi lang ganoon kaagad but I was finally able to smile now. Bumalik na rin ako sa Manila. I came back to the school where you first liked me." I chuckled. "Dapat kasi noon pa lang nagpakilala ka na sa akin eh. Edi mas mahaba pa sana ang oras na magkasama tayo."

I placed the Santan flowers above her tombstone. I remember whenever I visit her here, I always end up crying for hours until my parents decide to pick me up and get me home. I could never put on a smile whenever I saw her name there. But her diary kept helping me a lot. It made me remember my promise to her, of how much she wanted to see me smiling, and so I did my best to do what she would want. I fixed myself and here I am.

"I miss you though. I miss you a lot. I still wish you were beside me every night. I still wish that I could see you smile and bicker with you every day. I still wish that you were still here. I wish that a lot." I wiped the tears that left my eyes. I took a deep breath and looked at the clouds above. I focused on that to stop myself from crying again until I heard footsteps behind me.

"Randle! We're back!" I could hear voices say those words. Mahina naman akong natawa nang ma-realize ko kung sino ang mga 'yun. They finally stood beside me, facing her tombstone as well. "'Yung cake! Nasaan na? Aba!"

Agad namang binatukan ni Sean si JP. "Nasa sementeryo tayo tapos sisigaw ka?" pabulong na sigaw pa nito. Napakamot na lang ng batok si JP na akala mo eh kawawang-kawawa.

"Here's the cake you were looking for," Jairo said as he showed the box.

"Arat na. Take a seat and blow the candle." Nathan was the first one to sit down and everyone else followed. "Randle, happy birthday ha? Hindi ka man namin lubos na nakilala, we do know your effect on our friend," he started and everyone else nodded their head.

Naramdaman ko naman ang pag-akbay sa akin ni Jai, his eyes were on her tombstone. "You took care of him and made him happy, so with that, we thank you. Happy birthday in Heaven." The others also said their greetings until it was finally my turn.

"Hey, ma cherie. I hope you're happy there. I do hope that you're having a huge party. Don't worry about me, I promised you and I have plans on keeping it. I'll make sure that I'll stay happy, but I will never ever stop loving you. Even when God tore us apart, I will still keep on loving you, hmm? Happy birthday, my Randle. I love you, my sunset and sunrise." With that, I caressed her tombstone again as if it was her face.

At hindi ko alam kung pinaglalaruan lang ako ng isipan ko pero pagpikit na pagpikit ko ng mga mata ko, I felt the wind, as if it was embracing me, and I heard her whisper, I heard Randle's voice saying, "I love you too."

A lone tear then escaped my eye.

~*~The End~*~