CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

BRYLE'S POV

I got up after Lola convinced me to eat meryenda, and prepare dinner. Since I told her that I'll be visiting Randle to give her back her phone, Lola insisted me to bring her food. As if I could say no to that.

After a while, I found myself driving to her house at exactly six-thirty in the evening. Naalala ko rin kasi yung sa alarm niya at ang sinabi ni Leah kanina. And then out of nowhere, I got this feeling in which I just got worried about her. There was this sudden weird feeling, so I stepped on the gas and hurried my way to her place.

When I got out of the car, it was already six-thirty-five and I looked at the house which doesn't seem to have any turned lights inside. Nagsimula na naman akong mas lalo pang mag-alala.

I walked to the door and was about to knock when I heard faint groans and muffled screams. I could also hear and feel my heart pounding as I stick my ear to the door to try and hear what was happening inside.

Nang may marinig akong may bumagsak at nabasag ay nagmamadali at pilit kong binubuksan ang main door. I only stopped midway when I thought that I'll be in more trouble if I enter from the front door with force, so I went around the house to look for another way in. Don't worry, Randle. I'll be there.

Thankfully, I saw a backdoor but worry quickly took over my body when I saw that it wasn't locked. Did they enter here? Napabalik ako sa kasalukuyan nang marinig ko na naman ang mga impit na sigaw na iyon.

Agad akong kumilos para mabilis pero maingat na mahanap kung saan nangggagaling ang ingay na iyon. I also observed the place, nothing seemed to be broken or misplaced, which somehow calmed me.

As I went closer to the room where the noises seemed to get louder each time I take a step, I could feel my heart beating louder. I peeked inside the small opening of the door and saw Randle on the bed with something like a handkerchief inside her mouth. She seemed to be struggling as she moved on the bed while holding her left leg.

The longer I observed her, the clearer I understand the situation. Para tuloy akong natauhan nang marinig ko na naman ang impit na sigaw niya, pero mas lumakas na ngayon.

Dali-dali kong binuksan ang pinto saka ko siya nakitang gulat na tumingin sa akin bago muling nabalot ng sakit ang mukha niya habang mukhang mas humigpit ang pagkakahawak niya sa binti niya.

"A-Anong... Anong nangyayari? It's hurting again?" My question only got answered with her muffled screams and shut eyes. When she did that, my body moved automatically once again.

I was about to get near her when she removed the handkerchief inside her mouth and shook her head. "N-No." She bit her lower lip and muffled a scream. "I-I know where..." Randle took a deep breath and shut her eyes before opening them again to look at me as if she was pleading. "... you'll take me." She muffled her scream again as she shook her head. "No, please. D-Don't."

"I don't understand. You're clearly in a lot of pain—" This time, she screamed. "Randle, please. You need to go to the hospital."

I saw tears forming in her eyes as she continue to shake her head. "I-I don't—" Randle screamed once more. Para akong nasasaktan sa paraan ng pagsigaw niya.

So even though she said no, I picked her up in a bridal way, left her house, and put her inside the car. Once I made sure that she was safe with the seatbelt on, I went to the driver's seat and started the engine. I think 'yun ang pinakamabilis na pag-da-drive ko sa tanang buhay ko.

My heart was pounding, my hands began to sweat a river, but I did my best to calm myself. Baka kasi kapag nag-panic pa lalo ako ay mas mapahamak pa kami ni Randle sa byahe.

Once we reached the nearest hospital, I moved to carefully carry her again and call out for help. Buti na nga lang at may mga malapit na nurse na nag-assist sa amin. Randle was placed on a stretcher and made their way to the emergency room.

All I could do there was watch the nurses and doctors do their job. They injected something into Randle to make her slowly lose her consciousness — to calm her down.

Ilang oras din ang dumaan hanggang sa nakita ko na lang na dinadala na si Randle sa isang private room. Akmang kakausapin na ako ng doctor na nag-asikaso kay Randle nang umiling ako. "Can I hear it once she wakes up? I don't think she'll like it if I knew about her condition without having her consent first."

The doctor nodded. "I got it. We'll only be around, probably in the nurse's station so once she wakes up, call for me." I nodded back and thanked him before closing the door and sitting on the chair near Randle's bed.

She looked peaceful, very far from what she looked like just a couple of hours ago. Hindi ko maintindihan pero alam kong may mali talaga. Alam kong may mas malala pa sa sinasabi niyang pagkakadapa at hindi ko alam pero mas lalo lang akong nag-aalala sa kalagayan niya.

Ilang minuto lang naman ang hinintay ko nang makita ko ang paggalaw ng mga daliri niya, kasunod ang dahan-dahang pagbukas ng mga mata niya. Hindi niya pa ako nakita nung una hanggang sa lumingon siya sa direksyon ko at nakita ko ang hiya sa mga mata niya. "You shouldn't have brought me here," she said, almost as a whisper.

I let out a sigh and stood up to walk toward her. "I'm sorry. I got worried."

Pinilit niyang makaupo pero pinigilan ko siya. "You probably asked the doctor what's wrong with me."

Umiling naman ako. "I knew you would dislike me more if I ask about your condition without getting your consent. Dinala na nga kita rito kahit ayaw mo eh, sasagarin ko pa ba?"

I saw her freeze for a moment before she shook her head and let out a dry chuckle. "Why do you always have to be like that?" I heard her mutter under her breath.

I got confused with her words. "Like what?"

She then glared at me. "You always have to do or say something to make me like you all over again, you idi*t."

I lost the grin on my face when she said those last two words. Okay na sana eh. Kailangan pa rin ba talaga akong murahin? Napailing na lang ako. "I'm not doing it on purpose though."

"And that makes it even more annoying," she shot back before letting out a sigh. "Anyway, whatever. Call the doctor, I wanna know something."

Napatango naman ako saka sinunod siya. When the doctor entered the room, he began talking about Randle's condition. "Osteosarcoma. It is a type of bone cancer. Uncurable but there are treatments that could make the patient's life longer. And based on Miss Miñoza's reaction, I could guess that she knew about this and did not proceed to any of the treatments."