↻ ◁ two ▷ ↺

"just another dressed up heartbreak"

Camryn's face filled with pure shock as soon as the words left my lips

Camryn's face filled with pure shock as soon as the words left my lips. Instantly, she turned her head back toward me and I felt myself smirk at her reaction, though I couldn't deny the pit of fear creeping around my stomach.

"You?" She asked. The hostility in her voice disappeared now, and in its place was overwhelming curiosity and confusion.

"Yeah, me." I crossed my arms in my lap. "Is something wrong with that?"

Her eyes searched my body, glancing up and down several times as if there was a certain look I was supposed to have.

"I just didn't expect you to be..." Her words trailed off as soon as she was getting to the good part.

"Go on, you can say it," I teased her, leaning even closer to faintly whisper in her ear. "A lesbian," my voice breathed out.

Her face flooded with red as I heard a breath get caught in her throat. She looked away from me, shifting in her seat, and the charisma that I usually carry so easily started to fade into regret. I'm all too familiar with that kind of reaction.

Did I just out myself to a homophobe?

"My bad," I apologized half-heartedly, even though I shouldn't have to. "Didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, or whatever."

She glanced back over at me with her eyebrows furrowed, seemingly offended that I would even assume she wasn't an ally. "That's— I'm not-"

I could tell she was struggling to find the right words to say. The least insensitive way to politely tell me she wasn't homophobic, even though clearly she wasn't completely comfortable around me for some reason or another.

"I have two dads," she finally said. Out came the big reveal, her one chance at getting me to believe she wasn't some huge bigot. I almost laughed at how sad of an attempt it was.

I turned away to hide the grin that was creeping onto my face. I could hear her defeated sigh next to me.

"I'm serious, I don't—" Her voice shifted from desperately trying to convince me to something like a sudden realization. Then she was cold again.

"I don't even care what you think of me," she whispered, I'm assuming to herself, but her voice carried over to my ears. Her tone was indifferent, her arms crossed at her chest and her head positioned completely away from me. She truly did not care about how I viewed her.