↻ ◁ twenty-six ▷ ↺

"just another dressed up heartbreak"

It wasn't a shock to me when Camryn arrived at my house looking ravishing in her staple miniskirt and sweater combo

It wasn't a shock to me when Camryn arrived at my house looking ravishing in her staple miniskirt and sweater combo. Her hair was just as soft as usual, pouring down her back in her typical waves as she pulled a strand behind her ear. Everything about her was so sweetly familiar. What was shocking about seeing her was watching her step out of the passenger seat of Gabby's sleek white Volkswagen.

When she finally approached me, duffel bag in hand, I pressed my lips to her cheek and then asked her a question. "When did you two become friends?"

"Probably around the same time you found out Ingrid invited Graham on the trip."

Shit.

"Gabby told you about that?"

Camryn scoffed. "I would've preferred hearing it from you. You know, my girlfriend."

"I'm sorry," I told her honestly.

"How long have you known about it?"

My voice came out timid and low as I tried to sound as innocent as possible. "Like, a week?"

"A week? Did you even plan on telling me at all?" She continued before I could get another word out, "Or were you just waiting for one of them to change their mind?"

"Honestly, I was hoping something would come up with Graham—"

"Seriously?"

"I'm sorry, Camryn! I just didn't want to hurt you."

"Yeah, well I'm not hurt, Ivy. I'm pissed." She stared me down with an anger I'd never really seen before. Even before—when she "hated" me—that anger was simply fabricated by her closeted crush on me. And usually, it was me who happened to start arguments with her. Seeing her genuinely so upset with me over something that was admittedly stupid on my part—it made my chest ache. I hated seeing her so angry.

Before I had the chance to apologize a third time, Camryn stomped off toward my house with Gabby following silently and awkwardly behind. Not even a full twenty seconds later, I watched as Nayeli's car pulled into my giant driveway before she stepped outside, followed by Ingrid and their insufferable date, Graham Hart.

"Are we late?" Ingrid asked with a huff as Graham hauled both of their bags on his arms. He looked tense and out of place, rightfully so. I
hoped he was feeling just as bad as he made Camryn feel.

"You're fine," I answered Ingrid's question haphazardly, guiding both Ingrid and Graham to my front door. "The Uber is coming soon. Do you have everything you need?"

They nodded as Nayeli checked in with Gabby with a hug and Camryn stood beside them, seething in anger. Graham didn't even dare to look back at her, and I could feel myself on the edge of an attack every time he even got close to glancing at her.