↻ ◁ fourteen ▷ ↺

"god save the prom queen
teenage daydream"

Camryn didn't seem to understand my urgency

Camryn didn't seem to understand my urgency. I felt my eyes pop in horror and my lips quiver at my own tone, yet she still wore a smile on her face as if I was joking.

"Your parents?" she teased, leaning closer to me as she spoke. "I didn't even think you had those, the way you throw parties."

It was refreshing to see such a causal side of Camryn as I watched her become more and more comfortable around me, but she couldn't have chosen a more inconvenient time to be so cute.

"Well, they exist," I made sure to inform her as I scrambled around my closet for a sweater to throw on over my pajamas. "And they'll kill me if I don't greet them downstairs, so you need to leave as soon as possible."

"You can't tell me what to-"

"Please." My eyes found hers and I begged with my stare before Old Camryn could sneak into the conversation too quickly.

"Do I have to go? Can't I just stay in here with Bia?"

I thought for a moment. "Can you stay quiet?"

Her head nodded with her eyes so innocently met with mine; I almost couldn't handle how beautiful she was. "Okay. I'll make sure you receive a worthy award for this."

Something flickered on her expression for a moment before she showed me a smile. "Don't die down there."

I planted a kiss on her hand before rushing out of my room and down the stairs. The front door had just clicked shut by the time I made it to the bottom floor and my parents' eyes could hardly stay open when they looked at me. Their suitcases were dropped onto the kitchen tile as soon as they stepped inside and their sighs followed suit, creating a harmony of exhaustion in the lonely space of our entryway.

"Ivy, is your room clean?" Mom's voice crashed into the air with a yawn.

I nodded. "Yeah, everything's done." I took a few steps closer, hoping she'd be tired enough to pull me into a hug. To hold me and tell me she missed me. I dismissed Dad like he always loved to do to me, but I wanted Mom to see just how much she should've loved me. I wanted to hear her tell me she was proud of me.

Wishful thinking. "Did Veronica already leave?"

I glanced around the room, double-checking Veronica's absence before responding. "Yeah, looks like it."

Dad chugged a glass of water before refilling it for my mother, handing it to her before taking their bags and heading toward the stairs. Not even one hello or even goodbye from him—should I have been surprised?