↻ ◁ thirty-one ▷ ↺

"and she's got the looks
and the boys on hooks"

Prom was nearing closer and closer every week, and now it was making the halls of Riverview even more insufferable

Prom was nearing closer and closer every week, and now it was making the halls of Riverview even more insufferable. Except, this time, I didn't have a shitty boyfriend whose only real emotion was uncontrollable anger; instead, my girlfriend was the hottest, most popular girl in the entire school. One could say I was a little more excited about prom this time around.

Although, as I walked down the halls three weeks before prom, I started to realize something: nobody here actually knew that Ivy and I were dating. Apart from our friends and Graham, it was still a mystery to everyone else—even the people who tried to leech off of her popularity and surround themselves with her for clout. They managed to spread everything they knew about her but failed to realize she was a raging lesbian.

None of that really mattered to me before—after all, I wasn't a very public person when it came to PDA, especially around prom season—but when I spotted her enter through the front doors of the school, you would've thought a celebrity had just walked in.

Crowds of people swarmed her as countless men tried pushing their way past everyone but when we made eye contact, she made her way right over to me. She didn't even bother responding to the crowds, minus a few small smiles here and there. She just pranced in my direction and greeted me along with her other friends, who I guess were also my friends now.

"When are you gonna ask your beautiful girlfriend to be your prom date, Ivy?" Ingrid whispered so that only the few of us could hear them—after a conversation with all of Ivy's friends, I finally found out Ingrid preferred those pronouns instead of she and her.

Ivy rolled her eyes. "Who says I have to ask?" She looked at me with a smirk. "Am I the man in the relationship or something?"

"You wish," I teased her, leaning against the locker beside hers. Nayeli started to tell us about her recent sneaky link and when I watched for Gabby's expression, I couldn't seem to find any real negativity. It was just normal snarky Gabby, completely happy for her best friend. In a way, it was kind of heartbreaking.

"How are things with your sister?" Gabby asked as soon as I shifted my eyes away from her. I glanced back over in her direction, kind of surprised that she was asking.

"Uh..." I started to answer, but couldn't think of a way to respond kindly.

"Yeah, is she still being an asshole?" Ivy cut in. Nayeli and Ingrid exchanged looks of confusion with each other and with the rest of the group as I tried my best to come up with an answer. But as my brain scrambled for some kind of response, a pair of guys came up to us, eager and cocky.

One of them I recognized from my senior math class. It was Seth, a tall blonde boy who loved to say he was "such a California guy" despite not spending a day in Cali himself. Other than that, he was usually nice enough. His friend, though, was one of the biggest nightmares I'd ever heard of—Graham Hart himself.