↻ ◁ thirty ▷ ↺

"and her daddy's gone
and she needs someone"

After dropping Camryn off with a kiss, the drive back home started off surprisingly calm

After dropping Camryn off with a kiss, the drive back home started off surprisingly calm. It was a fifteen-minute drive at four in the afternoon on a Thursday and there were hardly any cars around. Of course, I wasn't on the freeway or anything, so it was all just local roads, but that usually didn't change much. But today, it was eerily empty.

Until it wasn't.

I felt myself zoning out on the road, sparing a glance at the sidewalks whenever I spotted a cute dog or a girl wearing a cool outfit. I felt safe enough to not give the road my full attention since I'd been driving for years now, but as soon as I glued my eyes back above my dashboard, I realized I made a mistake.

I was halfway into the intersection when I noticed the light was red. I could've made it—I know I could've—but an SUV was turning left and had already gotten in front of me by the time I caught on to what was happening.

The front bumper of my precious Tesla rammed right into the side of a familiar gray Range Rover and the music shut off in a blur. My brain couldn't even react before the airbag blasted into my face and my thoughts were hazy as I started to lose my vision.

"Ivy!" A man's voice yelled outside my car door. I managed to turn and look at him, and my tired eyes shot wide open when I realized it was my father.

"Dad?" I whispered though he couldn't hear a thing from out there. I glanced over at the other vehicle again, recognizing that same gray color from my own driveway. Had I really just gotten into a car accident with my father?

"Why the hell weren't you paying attention? Do you know how stupid that was? Can you do anything right?" He immediately opened my car door and started to pester me before I could get another word out. His arms flew in the air in irritation and his words spat at me as I struggled to stay conscious until the red and blue lights finally arrived at the scene.

"Excuse me," one of the officers said; it was a woman's voice, which helped to calm my nerves a bit. "We're gonna need to take some statements. Are both parties able and willing?"

"Do I look hurt to you?" Dad asked the woman with a harsh attitude. I could hardly keep my eyes open wide enough to see, let alone fill out some document.

"Um, ma'am," I mumbled, hopefully gaining the attention of the officer, "I think I need a—"

My vision faded all the way to black finally, complete silence overtaking me for a quick moment before I was able to open my eyes again. When my eyelids weren't eight pounds heavy, I raised them just enough to see I wasn't on the street anymore. Instead, I was lying on a hospital bed in a bright room with harsh fluorescent lights overwhelming my senses. My friends were crowded around me and I searched for any sign of my father, or even my mother, but I couldn't seem to find either of them.