↻ ◁ twenty-three ▷ ↺

"and the makeup's stronger,
gotta wear it longer"

Ivy hugged me like she needed it, and I was sure that's exactly why she pulled me back in with tears in her eyes

I never thought I would see Ivy Mora cry, even as my official girlfriend. She seemed like the type of person who bottled up her emotions until they destroyed her, but I suppose that just goes to show how much we were still learning about each other.

"Sorry," she whispered between sniffles. This was such a vulnerable side of her; I wasn't sure I knew how to handle it. "I guess it's just been a while since I've hugged someone."

I combed my fingers through her pin-straight hair as I embraced her. "You don't hug your friends?" She shrugged.

"We mostly talk shit to each other and get wasted," she hastily explained. "Not much time for feelings and physical affection."

I chuckled into her hair. "Understandable. What about your—" I paused for a moment. "Your cat?"

"God, that sounds so sad." Her complaint came out in a shaky laugh, a pathetic tone ringing out from her lips. "We can stop if you want—"

"No! No, I want to hug you." I clutched her tighter in my arms. I also didn't hug people very often—it was mainly Graham I hugged all the time. Outside of him, I never really had friends either. He was my best friend and the only one I felt like I needed, so I didn't think it mattered. But now that things have changed, it's difficult to admit I was being ridiculous.

A short minute passed in comforting silence before Ivy pulled away and wiped her nose on her long sleeve. I let out a soft laugh at her as I used my thumbs to wipe the tears on her cheeks. The way she looked at me while in such a defenseless state was so romantic; those pale green eyes were such a beautiful shade when they were glossed over and slightly puffy. It was almost endearing, in a way.

"I have an idea," I told her with a grin.

She eyed me suspiciously. "What is it?"

"Let's have a photoshoot!"

There was silence, and then a giggle. "A photoshoot? You just wanna use that fancy new camera I got you." Her delicate fingers wiped across her cheeks as she teased me, drying the fresh tears that had fallen as soon as I finished wiping the first few for her.

"Maybe." I shrugged with a red-handed grin. "Come on, we can do a little makeover and everything."

"Okay, let's do it."