↻ ◁ thirty-four ▷ ↺

"god save the prom queen."

The day has finally arrived

Two weeks after prom royalty nominations were announced, the weekend of prom was upon us, and I was more than thrilled to be spending it with my closest friends and lover.

In my giant bedroom, my mom set out a few different floor-length mirrors around the room for all five of us to share and get ready. Nayeli and Gabby took occupation of the one in the corner and Ingrid was doing their makeup in the mirror next to the one I was using with Camryn. I was finishing the last swipe of eyeshadow I was applying to Camryn's face as everyone began putting their dresses on.

Nayeli picked out a vintage, cottagecore-looking dress that was an off-white color and had a built-in corset that accentuated her fortunately athletic body—I guess all those years of volleyball paid off. It definitely reminded me of her earthy, bohemian style, so I thought it was a perfect choice.

Ingrid, on the other hand, went with a prom suit instead of a dress, which was pleasantly surprising to me. They decided to wear a black lace corset top, to express their own level of femininity, and light khaki-colored pants with a suit jacket to match. The color was perfect against their tan complexion and their dark hair suited their black Mary Jane Doc Martens, bringing the whole outfit together. They also did some fairly natural makeup, really bringing out the androgynous energy—they looked amazing.

And then Gabby, with her long, blonde hair curled and pulled back into a half-up-half-down style with a dainty white bow, practically looked like Cinderella. Her dress was long and flowy, made out of this beautiful French blue chiffon material, tiny white rhinestones lining the boning of the built-in corset, which I was starting to realize was a theme in their prom outfits. But the top of the bodice was made of satin, along with the puffy, off-the-shoulder sleeves that displayed her collarbones charmingly.

Okay, yeah, I was kinda gay for my friends. But they're all so beautiful; it's not my fault!

Either way, the fairest of them all was certainly my girlfriend who, despite "not caring" for prom, stepped out of the closet in the most beautiful dress I'd ever seen on any woman.

The first thing I noticed was the color; green, of course—her favorite. But it was such a stunning shade of green that the only thing it could remind me of was the pale green of a moldavite crystal, which I only knew existed because of Nayeli. Camryn's dress was also close to a satin material and so thin it almost reminded me of a night dress, but the cross-back design with the ribbons on the back of the dress made me certain it was most definitely formalwear.

There were also green embroidered floral patterns on the dress, the same pale green as the rest of the dress. The neckline made a modest V and the sleeves were these cap sleeves that finished off the symmetry of the dress perfectly. The hems were all that moldavite-green lace and the entire dress gave me strong Chinese vibes, which was funny since Camryn was actually part Korean.