↻ ◁ twenty-five ▷ ↺

"god save the prom queen,
teenage daydream"

I wanted so badly to be excited to see my sister again

I wanted so badly to be excited to see my sister again. After all, she left for college all the way in Florida, so the last time I got to see her was when she came down for winter break in December. And it wasn't like we were ever the best of friends—she had a way of shutting people out without realizing it.

But now, as the end of the week was approaching, and I had no choice but to turn down Ivy's offer to stay with me while I faced my sister again, I was starting to understand just how nervous I'd really been.

Watching her walk through the door with only a small duffel bag in hand and a forced smile on her face, I began to feel a certain grumble in my stomach. Why was this—something that was supposed to be so simple—so difficult to do? She was my sister, not a stranger. Although, did those two really cancel each other out?

"Annie, baby!" Dad greeted her immediately, nudging Papa and I to join in a group hug. We all threw our arms around her as she squirmed in our grasp with a smile.

"Hey, guys," she greeted us with a grin. "I missed you all. How have things been at the house? Anything exciting happen while I was gone?"

Dad and Papa shared a look with each other before simultaneously glancing back at me, knowing the only thing that's really been happening was my situation with Graham and Ivy. And by situation, I mean, of course, me dumping Graham and then jumping on the Ivy train within a matter of weeks. Totally not complicated at all.

"Well," I started to say, knowing fully well that my dads were not going to let me get away with not telling my sister. "Funny story, actually!"

While Annie watched me with impatience, the nerves really started to work their way up my body. When I was with Graham, the one person he got along with most in my family was Annie. They had much more in common than he and I ever did—not that Annie and I could agree on much either. Plus, she was his date to homecoming last year when I came down with the flu and wasn't able to go (I didn't want to go anyway). I knew nothing went on between them—he may have been a shitty boyfriend, but Graham was never a cheater—but they've always been close because of that. How was I supposed to tell her he was no longer going to be a part of our lives?

"Get on with it, Cam," Annie huffed as I stuttered my way through half a sentence at a time. She wasn't making things any easier by being so... her.

"Nothing huge has really happened," I lied straight to her face. My dads refused to let that one slide.

"Camryn and Graham broke up," Papa blurted out without giving me another chance to come clean. Dad glared at him while I lowered my head in shame.

Suddenly, it was like Annie's world had fallen apart. I watched her eyes pop in shock and her brows fall, leaving her utterly incredulous. Her smile was nowhere to be found now and her duffel bag was one wrong move away from being dropped onto the floor.