Chapter Ten - Neil

The high pitched voice of the woman almost identical to my dead wife would not shut the fuck up.

'She's the only one who knows.'

She demanded that Esther leave, and I was about to fucking lose it.

"Esther, you don't have to go. Just finish your cup, we'll be right back."

I saw Reaghan turn around, quite baffled that I would talk to the petite woman with such kindness and warmth, quite opposite of my demeanor towards her. She followed me upstairs to my bedroom where I closed the door but cracked it, I didn't want my downstairs visitor to think anything bad or inappropriate was happening up here.

"So what? You've found your next victim? Huh?" She shoved my chest, only I barely budged. She drilled her accusative pointer finger into straight into my sternum and I didn't say a word.

I knew she would find me eventually, but goddamnit why did it have to be now?

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Tears were beginning to stain the corners of her eyes, "You piece of shit, just tell me, please."

"What the fuck to do you wanna hear, Reaghan? That I did it? I killed Adrienne? Ok, sure. It was me. Now leave. Hopefully that brings you some fucking closure."

Her eyes went wide as I ripped open the door, she had on mascara and black eyeliner that was very prominent and it made my eyes itch just looking at it.

"I'm going straight to the cops. You're so fucked, Neil."

She rounded my body to exit my room.

"Double jeopardy, Reaghan."

The head of strawberry blonde hair halted in her tracks, "What did you just say?"

I finally turned around to face her, talking quietly, "Even if you went to them and told them exactly what I just said, they can't book me on the same charges. American justice system."

I shrugged at her, feigning defeat.

I was kind of enjoying this.

I folded my arms in front of myself and barely leaned on the doorframe, "Now get the fuck out of my house. I have a tea party to finish up with."

I made sure to move her out of my room before I shut my door, and gestured for her to walk before me. All she could do was stare absolutely shocked at me.

"What are you waiting for? Move."

She gripped the railing as if I was planning on—

"Don't you dare push me down these stairs."

I scoffed, "I don't kill people for fun, Reaghan, I just want you to fucking leave. I promise, see?" I held my hands behind my back and walked ahead of her, "I'm not gonna touch you."

The woman wearing heels slowly made her way down after me still looking very uneasy.

I hope Esther didn't hear any of that, I wasn't even thinking about her.

'Yes you were.'

Yes I was.

'She hasn't left your head.'

That is indeed the case.

I found her sitting next to the seat I was previously on, and her head perked up.

She smiled.

She didn't hear anything.

I sighed in relief, the only thing I'll ever lie to her about is about me literally shooting my wife dead.