Chapter Thirty Eight - Esther

With having Neil's father around, we were never too sure how things would go.

So, day by day, I have been checking in with Loretta about times that Will and I could see each other.

I thought it was extremely unusual how kind Neil would be with Roland some days, and when I thought things were getting better, they would flip a switch and be at each other's throats again.

"How are things at home?" Loretta quietly whispered before Carol could sit down.

The three of us decided to have somewhat of a brunch date in the city. After explaining to them that I kind of skipped the developmental years of a teen girl becoming a young adult, they immediately stepped in to show me the most fundamental thing.

And in this moment, having two friends that are more than willing to catch me up on everything that I've missed means the world to me.

"Things are... tense? I don't think that's really the term for it, but it ain't like any dynamic I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing."

"Ooo, what are we experiencing?" Carol nudged in as she set a drink carrier down with our orders.

Carol wasn't too receptive whenever we talked about mine and Neil's life together, and I knew that she would get overbearingly jealous. Which is why I didn't like to talk about Neil in front of her.

Loretta spoke up before I could deflect, "Just how things have been with Neil's father living with them. What did you order?"

Carol passed out our drinks one by one and extravagantly introduced each flavor of fruity alcoholic beverage she got us.  When she was done, she sat down and we all began to talk about everything. And I mean everything.

Apparently Loretta and Johnson are debating whether or not to have a third person join only in their intimate times for something different. Carol went off of that, and explained to us that she and Neil's coworker Mateo had quick, rough sex behind the diner while she was closing.

"The only idea I'm getting out of this whole brunch thing is that we sit down to eat breakfast in the late morning, drink cocktails, and talk about super explicit things happening in our lives."

Loretta raised her trimmed brows with opionion at first, then she appeared to nod and agree.

"It's also about catching up. Usually brunch is used for that purpose, but the three of us are as caught up as we can be. So?"

For whatever reason this time, Carol finally understood her que, "We talk about the deep, meaningful things that we feel or shit that's going on with us. It's pretty simple, honestly."

"So having Mateo basically bend you over a dumpster is deep and meaningful to us?" I scoff, which then turns to a chuckle.

"Certainly deep, that's for sure."

Loretta burst out laughing and held onto Carol's forearm, the two of them feeding off of each other's energy. It just kept building and building until I couldn't help but join in.

To other people, we probably looked absolutely crazy.

"All in all, Esther, the point of brunch is so we can drink whatever and gossip in the midmorning. But most importantly have fun. See? Isn't this a good time?" Carol inquired with a hint of leftover laughter.

"This isn't much different than just having breakfast, I mean look at us, it's only eleven. This probably is your breakfast, Carol."

If I have learned anything about Loretta, it's that she has to physically be holding onto someone when she laughs or else she'll topple over.