Chapter Forty Two - Neil

I had my final check up with the doctor involving my fake lung, at this point I can't call it new anymore.

They've cleared me completely.

My body did an amazing job with adapting and accepting this piece of foreignness, and I just have to contact them if I have any issues.

'You make and solve your own problems.'

So, I guess I won't have any issues.

Esther was off shopping in the city for the holidays with Will and Loretta as I ran errands in town after my appointment.

As I drove home, I thought about inviting Mateo over for a couple drinks to shoot some shit.

I've missed him.

He's not dead, his grandmother is. So he's been away and I haven't seen him for at least two weeks.

I debate on inviting over the Bakers as well as Benny and Carol, much to my distaste on the last option, but Mateo likes her enough to sleep with her.

Why not?

I'm trying to broaden my horizons.

Esther said she doesn't have family around that can make it to any gathering we orchestrate, and I'm trying to get it through to her that she can choose her family.

I dial Mateo, a few rings echoing in my ear before he answers, "Neil! What's up? How's things?"

"Oh, could be better, I suppose. When are you coming back?"

The sound of fabric scratching is loud, he's probably busy and is holding the phone with his cheek against his shoulder.

"I leave in a bit here, I'm just making some food to bring back so I can share. It was a recipe of my Nana's."

"Can't wait. Hey, when you hit town, come over for a couple beers or something. Just to hang out, would you?"

"Of course, man! I think it would actually be really good for me—"

A ringing replaces Mateo's conversation as I notice a white Cadillac parked on the side of the road in front of my house, not even pulled into my driveway.

"I gotta go, just text me when you arrive," I say a little too quick, hanging up before he could respond.

The last time I've seen one of these was on the interstate not too long ago, but this one is special.

It had stickers of the high school my wife attended on the back window.

I haven't seen one duplicate to that yet.

Sweat immediately sprang to life on my palms and fingers.

I didn't have to be nervous.

I really didn't.

But when I pulled into my driveway, in the spot I always parked, I saw in the rearview mirror the passenger side door open up.

My composure was threatening to break.

The last time I had contact with my in laws was during my trial, same story as I had with my own father until his demise.

'They're here to finish what you started.'

Damn.