Chapter Twenty Four - Neil

Staring at nothing all day without any interruption was absolute bliss to me.

Esther had turned on some cartoons for me to watch before she left for work, seeing as the couch became my temporary bed. I couldn't lie down on my back completely flat for extended periods of time because when I would readjust myself, it would make the cartilage between my ribs feel as though it had solidified and therefore made it impossible for me to bend and move.

However.

These meds were working magic for me until I slept them off and woke to even more horror than the nap before.

I am teetering on the edge of making myself chronically injured just to keep the supply coming, but I don't think Esther would want to take care of me all the time. She would eventually grow tired of me and leave.

'She is already planning that.'

Yeah, well...

I doze off listening to the kid's show ask me to sing along to them counting numbers and naming colors, and I subconsciously hum along.

The front door clicks shut nice and softly, radically different than how I usually shut it.

Esther is finally home.

But I hear a million other things mixed with the sound of the petite woman rustling through grocery bags and knocking around the pan rack above the granite kitchen island.

I wonder what she has decided to make?

I slowly open my eyes to make sure the coast is clear before attempting to up myself from the place I've been stationary for the entire day.

The doctor recommended light, and he emphasized light, exercise to help with the cardio side of things as well as my usual physical therapy when I could. Theoretically speaking, it would be a solo type of exercise, but I liked when Esther helped me.

It wasn't anything to do with kinks or sex, I just enjoyed spending time with her. Even if she is somewhat forced to.

"Neil, honey, are you trying to get up?"

"Mhm, yes ma'am," I all but groan as the surgery site begins to throb and ache with every move of my limbs.

"Let me come and help you."

Before I know it, she is in front of me holding onto my hands trying her best to not hinder my momentum to stand.

My legs feel like jelly and they shake a little as I right myself, finally looking down on the freckled siren.

I hum, "You're so beautiful."

Esther just chuckles, bringing her arms around my lower back.

"Your meds wear off, I'm assuming?"

"What makes you say that? I would call you beautiful any time."

A smile laced with concern poured over her soft yet rigid face, "Yeah, but... you almost look frightened right now."

I didn't feel that way?

"Are you seeing things, too?" I joked, trying my best to give her less to worry about.

But that was not the right thing to say.

Esther pulled away from me and started to walk to the kitchen once more, "What are you seeing now? Is it worse than the shadow people last week?"

I should've known that this conversation was coming, but it didn't help that I basically brought the topic to mind.

"Uh..." I slowly responded as I made my way to follow her, "I mean, I see actual people sometimes. They're much less scary. Unless your my wife—"