Chapter Forty Six - Esther

Neil brings my hand in his to his lips and kisses my wrist, "What did your ring look like the first time?"

Since our sudden, but much appreciated, engagement, we decided to book a hotel for the weekend in the city.

Not only was ring shopping on our to-do list, but we both agreed that we deserved complete privacy to iron out certain details that were never once spoken of.

Because until last night, marriage was off the table.

That meant talking about finances, the topic of adoption, the actual wedding itself. I already had one, as had Neil, so I was hoping that we could keep things small and intimate.

This was the last time I would give myself to someone.

I wrack my brain as I try to bring the image of the dreadful thing to my forethought, only I wish I hadn't remembered.

"It was a single imitation diamond on a plain silver band."

"Did you get a say?"

I shake my head no, I didn't want to respond, really. It was all just so embarrassing.

"Well, that's what makes this so special, then. I see why you're picky," he laughs.

Our first couple of stops were to jewelers. The selections were grand and the work was incredible, but it was so expensive even though Neil mentioned his limit was 'well into the numbers'. Whatever that means. There was no way that I would be that self conceited. In the end, nothing caught my eye. Well, it was actually the prices that helped deter me.

"No, I'm picky because... what if I don't want diamond? What if I wanted a colorful gemstone?"

"Then choose what you'd like to look at, after all, you're the one who has to wear it all the time. It's for the best that it's a positive reminder of me."

That's how we ended up in this specific store.

It had huge glass panes along one wall that offered you insight on the amount of work that the jewelry designers put in, allowing you to see them craft pieces that costed thousands of dollars in real time.

On the other side, beautiful showcases in tiers lined a unique walkway that brought you on a self guided tour if followed. There must have been hundreds of thousands of options here.

We winded our way through the floor plan, my eyes taking the lead.

"What do you feel about blue?" I ask Neil as I'm all but bent over a curved glass counter.

He's looking at the showcase opposite of me, "I feel the same way you do, Est."

I stand straight up, confused, "What are you saying?"

He doesn't realize that he's been caught until a few seconds later, he turns around to find me searching for the answer.

"What I'm saying is that however you see whichever color in here, I will agree with you. I don't have a preference."

"That's a real roundabout way of saying you'd support me," I comment as I go back to looking.

"I guess it is."

Slowly, we move along this river of gold and gemstones before my eyes catch on this dainty round stone, clear yet olive in hue.

The band is sophisticated and the setting is perfect, but there's no way I can choose now, I have to see everything before I make a decision.

Or do I?

Neil gets the attention of one of the people from behind the expansive counters to come over to us, meanwhile my eyes cannot seem to stray from the ring I've just found.