Chapter Thirty Four - Esther

The steak was amazing, the earthy taste paired nicely with its tart yet sweet partner, and the conversation had been kept light. I'm assuming it was that way because Will was here, but I could tell that it was going to get very heavy when Loretta and Johnson came to get him.

Neil kept on looking about the room as if someone, or something, were waiting to pounce. I put my hand on his leg that wouldn't stop bouncing with nerves in an attempt to calm him a little.

I would say that we were saved by the bell, that being the doorbell of Will's parents, but we were far from being saved.

We said our goodbyes and the Bakers left, leaving the three of us alone.

Roland, Neil, and I.

I began to wash and rinse all of the dishes from dinner while Neil and his father went outside to talk some more. I was concerned with the way Neil's attitude was towards Roland, but then again, if he's anything like my father, I don't blame him.

When he had knocked on the front door earlier in the day, I was pretty panicked. Not for the same reasons Neil gets worked up, but because we don't get visitors very often and when Loretta or Johnson come over, they just ring the doorbell.

So when I heard a knock, I thought I was for sure going crazy. Kind of like folie a deux.

But I wasn't. There was a man only a few inches taller than me standing on the porch, a smirk embedded in his wrinkled yet handsome face, and possibly the most steely and cold blue eyes I'd ever seen.

I had asked what he was doing and who he was, all that was answered was that he was Neil's lawyer and they had a lot to discuss.

There was no way I was about to question him, seeing as he would more than likely know the whereabouts of his clients' addresses. We even talked about the case a little bit, with the limited knowledge that I actually have of it.

I thought Neil had called him out for a favor with the whole Reaghan situation. He wasn't sure if he wanted to press charges or not, but we both agreed that since she was locked up, that was good enough for us.

As long as she wasn't able to cause harm anymore.

Looking back to the mixed emotions Neil wore when he came out of the foyer, I should have seen it.

The two definitely had resemblance, but not enough to cause any sort of warning sirens to infiltrate my head.

Maybe he didn't take after his father? His mother must be absolutely stunning, if that's the case.

Shouldn't the fact that Neil called him 'Dad' and Roland answered with 'Son' be a huge indicator? I will admit, I wasn't paying attention enough to recognize the similarities, not that there are many, but I thought that the endearments they used were because they worked together closely for however long Neil's trial was.

I could no longer think about how I should've known the man I loved and the man who blatantly lied to me were related because the glass door rolled open and closed.

Only one pair of steps came in, Roland coming around the corner to meet me.

The older man came to my side and began to pat dry the clean dishes.

"So, you're who my son has been seeing?"

Was I upset at the fact that he thought I was a maid taking care of Neil's child?

Absolutely. And in the small of my stomach, a pit wedged its way in.

"Are you disappointed or relieved?"

Roland's chuckle was husky, but not like Neil's. Like he was fighting a cough.

"I'm just surprised that he could talk you into fucking him after what he did to his wife."