Chapter Thirteen - Esther

The water felt cool against my ankles, the sand that floated along tickled my legs as I slowly made my way deeper into the waves. For it being the middle of the night, I would have imagined that it would be colder than it was. I didn't get any chills on my body until I turned around and saw the look Neil was giving me.

Instantly, my skin arose at the sudden attention, and I wasn't opposed to the feeling.

Neil was still sitting down on the blanket that we brought, and he looked relaxed as ever. Only, I could tell he wasn't.

I saw how his eyes trailed my frame, taking in every single detail that he could visibly make out. I was hoping that it was just dark enough to where he wouldn't be able to see me unless I was a few feet in front of him, but the moon was not on my side this time.

It was extremely foggy, but there were no clouds in the sky.

It really should be colder.

I backed into the water until I felt the tips of my long, dark hair get tugged by the needy waves. I should've put it up, but I didn't. Maybe I felt that leaving my hair down would make me look sexier.

Just like the models on the swim suit issues.

I didn't stop, But I did play with the water in my hands by my hips. I gently splashed around hoping that it would cool off my overheating body.

I felt like I was burning under his gaze.

What would happen if I just took my top off? Would he be surprised?

He wouldn't want to see that, who am I kidding?

My intrusive thoughts stopped the moment I saw him stand up and slip his shirt off over his head and toss it on the blanket before coming towards me.

I felt my heart stutter like it didn't know what to do.

Just filter my blood and keep my alive, gosh darn it.

I kept on backing up until my shoulders were being kissed by the water, my hair long ago soaked.

I noticed how Neil hurried his way over to me instead of nonchalantly making his way into the water like he had been doing a few seconds ago.

Saltwater splashed into my face as he finally got to me, and all I felt was the sting of something around my torso.

I slightly jumped at the contact, but realized that it was two strong arms that now held my body flush against the man's in front of me.

His dark hair stood up in all directions as though he hadn't slept in a while...

Oh my goodness!

"Neil, why didn't we just go to bed? You've been up for lord knows how long, now!"

He slowly waded us into deeper water, to where I couldn't touch any longer, and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"What makes you think I'd miss out on an opportunity like this?"

"What opportunity?"

His hands were playing with my hair under the water as he held me close to him.

I didn't miss the way his eyes were scanning my face, silently asking for permission. For what? I might have an idea, but... what if he wasn't thinking the same thing at all?

The string holding my bikini up suddenly whipped over my shoulders and I gasped, retracting my arms and holding my top to my chest.

Neil was still holding me, laughing, and I felt the rumble make its way to my stomach, then a little lower...