Chapter 4 ~ Saving

Greyson

Once again I leave the hospital. It's been a week since I have seen the woman in the alley, a week since I followed her to make sure she got home safe. A lot of people would call me out on following a girl home, but I wasn't like that, I just wanted her to be safe.

From the looks of it, she wasn't doing well, and it took everything in me not to throw her over my shoulder and take her into the hospital for a check up. But I couldn't, the most I could do is pray she was okay.

I start my car, I put my hand on the back of the passenger seat as I back up out of the parking lot. I start driving a little ways before I stop and get food for myself.

When I'm sitting in the parking lot and eating, I start to think hard about what that woman had gone through, and why she was in an alley, and why she wouldn't let me help.

The woman was gorgeous and seemed like on the inside, she was soft, and caring, but something must be holding her back, making her keep her walls up.

It killed me not knowing where she was, at the moment. I knew where she lives, but she could be anywhere, and she could get hurt.

I spent my whole life, protecting Rory, protecting my nieces, sister in law. Now... Here in California, I have no one to protect. Maybe that's why I felt an urge to get the woman safe, warm.

I look to my left, I'm obviously thinking so hard about the beautiful woman because when I see a woman, laying on the floor, curled up in a ball, I instantly think it's her.

I put my trash away, then I move my car over to a parking spot to get a closer look. It is her. Same clothes, same dirty blond hair, messy and fanning her face. Laying on the cement in a ball.

I turn off the car, put the car keys in my pocket as I thrust my door open and rush to her. I kneel down next to her, her body looks cold. She doesn't hear me, she must be asleep. My face falls even more when I see cuts on her face.

I don't know what to do. I want to pick her up, take her home, clean her up, and get her food. But how would that look to the people on the outside? That I'm a big man, stealing a girl off the street and taking her home?

I don't care what anyone thinks at this moment though, I would kill myself if I left her here. So I gently... pick her up, I cradle her in my arms, I can feel her shiver in her sleep. I walk slowly to my car, making sure I left nothing of her behind, then I open the back door, and I place her in a lying down position.

I close the door when she is curled up in the backseat and get into the driver's side, turning on the car and warming it up, hoping it will warm her.

I drive the short way to my house and when I get there, I carry her once again into my place. Making sure she is comfortable while also trying to get her inside safe.

I open my door and walk her to my room, placing her on my bed as I go back and lock the door. I give Dwight a quick pet and go back to my room. I go through my closet and dig out some clothes Rory had left last time she was here.

I place them on the table, as well as putting fresh products in the bathroom so she can get cleaned. When I'm done rushing, I catch my breath. I walked over to the side of the bed she is facing, she seemed to have curled up to my pillow.

A small smile creeps on my face as her mouth parts to breathe. I find myself looking there, but I look back up at her face, reminding me that I need to clean those wounds when she wakes up.

I don't change my clothes, I just head to the living room, and grab a throw blanket, laying down on the couch and falling asleep.

☀️

I finish making breakfast, the woman has yet to wake, but I made her food for when she gets up. I feed Dwight and then head to my room to check on her. I see her, moving in her sleep, her face not as rested as it was before.

I take a seat on the edge of my bed and wait for her to wake up. I look at her face the entire time.

Finally after a good twenty minutes, she starts to wake up. I lift myself from the bed and stand a little farther away. I can tell by her face she is confused either by the soft pillow, or being in a warm room, or both.

She mumbles, wipes the drool from her face and rubs her eyes. She looks around the room before they land on me. We stare at each other for a while before she speaks. "What am I doing here?"

"I saw- I saw you laying on the cement- so I took you here to help you?" Suddenly, my voice is small, and I'm scared of her. When she looks at me, I can tell she disapproves of this.

She doesn't say anything, she stands up from the bed, and walks past me, like she is heading to the door. I'm fast on my feet and go in front of her, holding her shoulders, I drop them when she looks at me.

"Please. Let me clean you up, and you can leave- or if you want to stay you can." I pleaded with her. I whisper it, hoping I don't come off wrong. She looks at me, her glossy eyes makes me want to run my hands over them, take her tears away, her small red button nose makes me want to ask her if she was crying. Her lips make me want to kiss them, but I hold myself back.

I suck in a breath, it's hard to breathe when she is standing so close to me, our bodies almost touching. My hand itches to move the strand of hair from her face.

Her hard face drops, she looks at me with kind eyes this time. I see a small nod as she looks down. A small smile makes its way to my lips.

"I put everything you need in my room and the bathroom." She doesn't respond, she keeps her head down, and she walks to my room, and closes the door.