Chapter 24 ~ Trying

Presley

I rub my temples while my head pounds. I'm leaning against the window of Greys car trying to forget what had just happened minutes ago.

I have never felt more trapped in my life, I never want to experience that again.

I was stupid to think that Grey wasn't going to find me. He did. He always will. And maybe that's why I like him. Because he's the only one who can always truly find me.

I lift his jacket up to my chest to get warm. His smell intoxicates my nostrils, it calms me down a bit.

Soft oldies music plays from the car at a low volume and I mind myself moving to the words. When life was harder, this was my only escape.

I close my eyes, listening to the mix of the music and the rain that's started to pour down when we left.

I feel the car come to a stop. I open my eyes and look around to see we are in an empty parking lot of whatever store this is.

I turn to Grey who unbuckles his seatbelt and turns to me. "This is totally up to you, but when I was down- when I was going through a hard time, mom would take me outside and she would play music and we would dance while my dad held the hose in the air like rain, it always calmed me down, I thought that I would try to do the same for you."

His voice is low and unsure, like he is expecting me to yell at him and tell him to drive me all the way back to California, or even better, anywhere but here or there.

"I totally get if you don't want to get wet- or maybe you could watch me?" The sweet gesture is what makes my whole body warm in the cold car. My eyes drift to the rain outside that is most likely even colder than it is in here.

I look him in the eyes, "I would like that." I whisper, slowly taking my seatbelt off and not breaking eye contact with him. His eyes seem to have gone wide as I open the car door, before I step out, I put his huge sweater on me which makes me warm up a little.

He seems to be working the radio, keeping slow music on except turning it up. I close my eyes as I hear an Elvis song that I used to love when I was a little girl.

He steps out of the car and walks around to my side. He steps to me and takes my hand, my hand tingling at the touch.

He leads me to the front of the car where the headlights are shining on us. The music, the lights, Grey here with me, he is doing a good job at making me forget life was ever bad.

He hesitantly wraps one hand on my waist, and another on the back of my neck to bring me to his chest. I instantly melt at the touch and bury my face into him.

We start to sway to the music, our bodies soaked in the rain that is pouring on us. But I think I can speak for the both of us when I say our bodies are making it seem like the rain isn't there.

I wrap my arms around his neck and lean more into him. Closing my eyes, all my troubles run away.

I hear a humming, Grey is humming to the words as we sway back and forth, his hand on my neck playing with the hair there, I copy his move and run my hands through the back of his wet hair.

I feel his grip tighten on me as he leans down to my ear. "I'm so sorry I couldn't get there sooner-" He sounds hesitant to bring it up. He sounds almost as if he is crying.

I pull away from his chest and look at his face, wet from the rain, but it doesn't hide the wetness of his tears.

I can't stop my hand from cupping his face. "It doesn't matter, it matters that you came to me..." I swallow hard at my confession.

He takes a deep breath. "You're the only one that has been keeping me happy these past months. I was terrified when I found out. I- I can't lose you, and I'm scared you're going to run away, and then I will be without you." His bottom lip shakes and his grip on me tightens.

I feel my heart pain as he says that to me. I don't think I could leave him now. I may have considered it then, but not now.

I let out a sigh as I looked at him. "I won't leave." I whisper. "I'm not going to leave you."

"Your the only one I like- your the only woman that has made a change in me... and I'm scared I'll lose you by saying this, but I'm falling for you Pres- so hard that- it hurts to not be with you." My heart stops for a minute.

Taking it in. He likes me, he's falling for me. Not in a million years did I think that I would ever- have this conversation with a man. And certainly not with one that I'm starting to fall for too.

I bring his head to me, making him place his head on my shoulder. I shake as I take this big move. I lean in and kiss the freckle on his earlobe that I have been dying to get closer to.

He seems to freeze up, but my lips stay there. I want to stop and think about what I'm doing, but I can't, because I just kissed Grey's earlobe in a way that isn't what friends do.

He pulls back and looks down on me. This doesn't feel real, the rain is still going, the music has changed and we have been out here for at least five songs. We are both soaking wet and could get sick but I don't care, I just want him.

We connect eyes and for a second I think he is going to kiss me on my lips, where I most want him. But he stops himself.

"I want to kiss you so bad, Pres- but I'm going to wait until the time is right, but for now... I want to give us a try, if you like me that is. I can't stand the thought of you not being mine."

My heart melts at his words and I feel myself nodding. "I want to. I want to try it. I want you to kiss me when it's time." I whisper.

I can see a small smile on his face as he pulls me to him. He kisses my head and I lean more into him.

"I'm so happy Pres."

And for the first time in a long time, I can say I'm happy too.