Chapter 12 ~ Vow

Greyson

I stand in shock as I look into Presley's eyes. The last thing I had ever expected was what I just witnessed.

I had completely forgotten to give her her lunch today, to make up for it, I wanted to pick her up and walk to her this time.

And I had heard everything. From beginning to end. And I don't know exactly what to feel.

One part of me is sad. Sad that Presley had to defend me and sad that Isabella said those things about me.

The other part of me... well the other part of me is gushing, blushing, and my heart is racing like I've never ever seen a girl in my life.

It's like my heart is beating against my chest to pull me forward to her. I feel like I could cry. Because no one has ever stood up for me like that. No one has ever wanted to when I was bullied because I didn't know anything.

Did I care? Not all the time. There were times when I was younger where I would go to dad and ask him what something means. And if he didn't tell me I would go to my older brother, Reece.

And they never gave me an answer... never. Well, not until I was in the 8th grade and I had asked my school crush to the dance.

Dad sat me down and told me some rules, like keep my hands off or in a respectable place, no kissing unless it felt right. And so on. And I listened. I admired my dad's advice because of how well he and mom are doing.

They were friends, but they didn't do anything until it all felt right. And so all my days, I have followed those rules because if I was going to love someone, I was going to love how my dad loved my mom.

Right now, my heart is swelling. I knew I had grown more than a friend like towards Pres. What was I supposed to do? She is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Despite whatever happened to give her a tough life, she never snapped at me after the day we met.

And every single night, I lie on that couch, thinking about her... thinking that I could provide for her for the rest of my life, our lives. I think about me coming home and her in the kitchen with a messy bun cooking us dinner. Me kissing her cheeks softly and telling her all about my dad while she told me about hers.

I have to snap out of my thoughts before I think any further... I'm not ready for that yet. But I am ready for something.

"Grey-" Presley's soft voice comes out and I can tell while I was in my daze she had walked a little closer. I cut her off by taking the last few steps forward and bringing her to my arms.

She doesn't wrap her arms around me, but I stay there. Because the sweeping in my chest is jumping for joy. That I was no longer alone... I had someone and at that someone to protect me.

My arms find their way to the small of her back and I just hold her. My eyes resting and my nose inhaling and memorizing her scent makes me faint every single time.

It's not till I'm about to pull away when her arms come and hold my sides. That's all I needed.

"Thank you Pres. I- no one has ever defended me before." I whisper. I hate that this is making me emotional..

I don't know how long we stand here. And I could care less if people are watching us like we are crazy. I'll be crazy about her.

She is the first to pull back. Her hands remove from my waist as she cups my cheeks. I stare into her eyes that get me lost every time I even see a glimpse of them. Her eyes compliment her so much.

"Grey... I'm sorry she said those things about you." She is whispering. I can feel her puff of breath on my lips. They tingle and I almost touch my finger to my lip.

"But I'm not sorry for what I said. I meant every word." Her warm hands come off my face and my cheeks feel cold as if I was shivering.

She looks down in my hands and sees her lunch bag. "Oh. Thank you." Her soft tone makes me melt.

She takes it and I watch as she walks to my car and gets into the passenger seat.

I swallow hard as I make my way to her. To the driver's seat. I get in while she takes a bit of her sandwich.

My shaky hands start the car and we start to take off. Back home. It's a drive of silence but it gives me time to think. This is a woman that makes my heart race like never before.

A woman I vowed to take care of because if it were me... I would want someone to take me in. A woman who I can't help but picture a life with. Because my brain betrays me... I imagine so many holidays with her, what all milestones would look like.

I look back over at her for a second. This is the woman who I'm taking to meet my family. Taking her as my date. I feel giddy inside knowing she will get to meet everyone who has ever made an impact on my life.

Presley reminds me so much of a love my parents have. I see that. I see us having that one day. Call me crazy but... I want that so bad... and I am willing to do anything to get that.

Presley deserves to be treated like a queen. I don't know what she has been through... but it must be enough to make her this way. I want her to open up to me... tell me what happened... and I want her to let me help. 

I think I'm in the process... of falling for this woman.