Trash-talk and elite teams

All three of them froze and stared at the holograph in pure shock

All three of them froze and stared at the holograph in pure shock. The map started blurring and pixelating before it completely dissolved into thin air and the glowing symbol of ACE appeared.

The sound seemed to be emitting from the chip. Or, more specifically, from the holograph. The glowing neon lights had arranged themselves in a new pattern now; one that all three of them immediately recognized.

It was of abandoned barren land that used to be utilized as a parking lot before an earthquake hit the area and it was labeled as a dangerous zone and subsequently abandoned. Now the whole area was nothing but cracked pavement and lonely, haunted vibes.

Meanwhile, the menacing laughter had finally ceased, and what seemed like a pre-recorded video began to play.

'Tsk, tsk. First off, let me tell you that I expected you to get to the answers way sooner than this. Your progress has been so very slow and boring! I really didn't expect this from professionals like you.' The voice drawled in a lazy smirk. X could hear Shell thump her fist against the table in livid anger.

With a scornful laugh, to complete the mocking words, the voice continued, 'You know, we almost decided to scrap this mission since we were getting bored of waiting. Luckily, it looks like you were at least able to fill in the puzzle pieces. Well done.'

There was a small pause in the speech and the sound of someone clapping could be heard. Shell looked about ready to bash whoever this faceless person was.

'Anyways, now that you've made it this far, I'll fill you guys in on the rest of the mission. As a little reward, yeah?

So I'm guessing you took the trouble of deciphering the map so you could get a lead on your failed mission and get it back on track. Well, guess what, the thing you were looking for, the weapon you sacrificed so much for, is still with us.

We'll be waiting for you in this abandoned field, weapon in hand. Come and get it if you can. Or will you guys be too scared of the prospect of us defeating you again? You'd better hurry up with this at least, before we get too bored and decide to scrap this mission altogether.

Catch me if you can~'

The recording ended with a humorless chuckle and the shuffling of feet to complete the playback.

There was complete silence in the room as each one of them slowly ingested the contents of the video. X was almost afraid to look at Shell, who he knew by now had a ferocious temper and too much ego to back down from a challenge.

He glanced at Snow instead and saw that she was worriedly looking at Shell from the corners of her eyes. In Spite of the circumstances, X stifled a laugh. Looks like he wasn't the only one who was sort of scared of Shell when she was angry.