Shoddy deals and medical labs

All of them froze at those words, hearts going cold with apprehension

All of them froze at those words, hearts going cold with apprehension. What on Earth did this guy mean? How was he able to see through our plan?

He chuckled mirthlessly at X's stunned expression, causing X to school his face once again. "Oh Agent X, I honestly expected a much better proposal from you and your team. I've heard so much about your prowess that I was expecting to be blown away by your presentation. But this... this is frankly disappointing."

X snarled at his words and bared his teeth. "Whether I've lived up to your expectations or not is none of my concern. What does matter is how you know about me, about my name."

"Ah, ah. let's not get ahead of ourselves. All that matters is that I know your name and that you work for ACE. How about we alter our deal a little bit to better suit our current circumstances?" he countered.

X's eyes furiously roamed the room, looking for answers he wouldn't likely get. Then he happened to glance at his team. Could one of them, including Hacker or Sheaf, have possibly done this? That thought was horrible, but not unlikely, given that even he had been working for the "enemy" in disguise.

However, the first thing that caught his eye was Meteor's panicked expression. His eyes widened slightly, and he vowed to immediately cart her off to ACE after this mess was taken care of. But first, of course, he had to see to the new situation in front of him.

He took a deep breath, found his centre of balance again, and faced the pixelated guy. "Alright, you've got me there. I'm not sure how you know me, but for now, it'll have to be put aside. Now I'll be revealing my true intentions to you, and you'll do the same, and we'll find a compromise that hopefully works for us both. Agreed?"

He laughed irritatingly again. "Oh Agent X, how desperate you are to stay in control of a situation that's clearly spiralling out of your control. But I'll agree this time since I want things to work out between us as well. So tell me, what is it that you seek?"

"Information," X answered immediately. "I want information on one of your regular clients. Her codename is Shell, and she's the current head of SHADE. I've received reliable intel that she plans to take over the world using the VX you periodically supply her, so I need you to give me her whereabouts to stop her."

The guy tilted his head appraisingly. "I'm beginning to see that spark I was looking for earlier. If you had spoken to me with such conviction earlier, I might have even humoured you for a while. But alas..."

"That's enough chit-chat, let's get back to the point," X interrupted with an impatient gesture. "As I was saying, I need information, that you clearly have, on Shell and her whereabouts. Will you give that to me?"

"It really depends, X, on whether you're able to do something for me in return. If you're complying with me, then I'll be more than happy to give you what you need. Or else..."